Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

Hybrid View

ty nomad and yes ive been doing a tone of youtube videos and reading up on them and almost everyone suggest tethering them together for that reason, dont want to get to the top and then loose the bottom half, would be a bad situation.

i think im going to the fields in the morning , still dont know where to go though, private land which ive not been to yet at all , or public land that im sure has been hunted heavly with being open gun season now.

Go private and give it a chance. Thats what I would do.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

yep, thats what ive decided to do , esp with the winds suppost to be blowing west, looks like it should be a good day. weather doesnt look like good forcast though. rain rain and more rain. oh well, its the only time i get to hunt so out to the land i go. will be early morning when i get there, i assume setting up on a edge of the field is useless at that time of day and be better of going into the woods correct?

edges can still be productive in the morning, especially if deer use the edge to travel back from food source to bedding. Also less chance of bumping deer if you set up on the edge... if there is a heavily used trail in the woods that you know the deer are using then that may be better and worth the risk of bumping deer. If I am hunting a new area for the first time and haven't done much scouting, i prefer to hunt on the edge of a field with a good view that way I can see where the deer are making their entrance/exit. Sometimes the first hunt is more of a scouting trip with a bow in case you guess right the first time.

Well i don't blsme you on the treestand, always best to try it out in good light and in a safe place, but make sure the tree is of proper size, not too small
    and yes it sucks to find them missing parts, been there with many a ladderstands over the yrs, very fustrating to say the least!
    I ha e found the brand you buy can effect how common that is too, highrer end stands have few if any bolts on climbers, but sure it can happen with any brand
    as for not finding the stands, well if someone took them, then, that says what I figured, people trespass and hunt there without permission, very common deal by me, sucks, but can still be a great place to hunt
    and in all honestly, its never a good idea to use a stand blindly, not knowing its condition, age or how safe it is, best to check them out in good light
    and again, just cause its public lands, doesn't mean there all crowded, i have hunted many great public lands even on opeing day of gun season and had the area to myself, public lands can be as good as any place to hunt
    and last, don't give up, i been on good land all week and not seeing any deer, so it happens

Oh yea. It would be nice for me to even spot a deer while sitting in a hunt but I havnt. Oh well.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Just read over a lot of what you have gone over here and it looks like these guys have you on the right path. Just takes time and once you start seeing deer then it will be on to shooting one.

What viewer did you use for the above ^^ property picture??

Hang in there 213chrisp. I bow hunted for three years before I got one with a bow. Can be very tough at first with a steep learning curve, but it will get easier, especially once find find a few good spots and figure out a good way to hunt them....

the high quality pictures was taken from my gaming desktop on windows 7 using chrome on google maps, but the low image posted just yesterday was a screen shot with my cell phone :) to my work laptop, which is why the lines are all over the place.

and thanks newbowhunter32, i knew when i got into this that i probably wont be sucessfull this late into the season and knowing little about the deer in my area but i would consider a success is me in a tree stand and at least getting a visual on a deer somewhere NEAR me. even if i dont shoot i would call that a good hunt for what ive learned over the past month and half or so.

bing maps is decent in my area cause it looks like the shots they used for there database was taken during fall, of what year i dont know though. where google mapes looks like spring or early summer cause evrything is so green. which that is a trick i learned on my own about scouting land is to use internet to my favor and look at ariel maps like google maps, and reading topo maps to learn how the terrain is in the area ill be hunting and can put myself in a position where i think i have a chance.
    but im new and this is all still a learning curve.

now on the other hand, im going down to my grandmothers house after xmas, i might try to get me a deer down there, they are like clock work down there cause we feed them corn out of a homemade feeder for years. right at evening time they will come into a couple acher plot that use to be a old tabaco farm plot behind a old barn in a valley of woods, and then they make there way to behind the house which is where the feeder is. its nothing to see a dozen deer there at a single time and usualy a few turkey mixed in from time to time.
    this sping i think im going to work on rebuilding a bigger feeder and wiring up a remote camera to hook up to internet and stream that feed so i can keep an eye on the animals 3 hours away :)

Thats right hang in there, don't forget you been trying ne3 places, takes even good hunters time to learn new lands, and deer movements, and with the bow,many times even longer, but again, hunting isn't allways a game of go and kill, only a small percentage of hunters kill a deer , and thats many with yrs of experience, yet they still go, cuase its that channalnge that is worth trying to beat

Thread Information