Athletic Greens
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

so decided to continue to walk around this plot thinking there HAS to be a better path to get here then how i did, and i know it takes equipment for corn to grow back there like they had it setup, so i continued my path along the edge heading south, and at a tree line in the middle of the field, i discovered a large doe, ironically my heart started pumping and thinking to myself, if i had my bow, just how more anxious would i have been knowing there is a deer this close to me at 145 in the middle of the day, how would i react on a hunt, so i pulled my phone out and started recording the doe as she moved near me and continued to feed.

i watched the doe for a bit, then turned off the camera on my droid and decided i was going to try to sneak up behind her some on this tree line , but then she decided to move closer to me, so i just stopped and went back to original location and continued to film her, and at that point i spooked her just enough so she took off to the woods. if i had to bet 150lbs maybe more. i think she was about 45-50 yards from me when she decided to take off.

so i decided to go check out why she was there, and investigate what she was feeding on, and im lost once more, nothing there besides this one small patch of vegetation in the field , is that there food source of choice when corn is gone? i would like to think acorns are covered with all the leaves in the woods so not sure how well that would be for deer at this time of year...

First off welcome... You have done a lot more research and scouting than a lot of hunters do and it seems like you are having fun. Deer eat a variety of things. Green vegetation is one of many things they eat. When the snow gets very deep in the winter deer will eat tree branches and bark when there isn't easy food around.

Best thing you can get is some sort of range finder especially when you are learning yardages. I got a doe last week at 35ish yards and I used to rangefinder before the shot on a log. If she walked by the log I knew how far I needed to shoot. It really helps and it takes the guesing out of it for you. Depending on when you are hunting dictates where you are hunting but one think for me is I really like to hunt the edges of thick thick cover. I usually have very limited vision in these spots but they have payed off for me.
    I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me. ~ Ted Nugent

thank you , and yes, it seems i cant find anyone near me thats willing to help so i have to learn how to do this by myself, so i been doing a tone of research online threw forums and youtube videos and stumbled across one about a hour long , the guy shows how to hunt places you never been too or dont know , and use google maps to location good spots using those tools without even having to go to the field, but he also stressed walking it out is good because sometimes the maps are old or you dont see a specific detail in the land on the maps as you would on foot.
    thats why i picked the spot i did, was following what he suggested and i would say it was a successful souting trip, i did manage to learn alot but i think it also confused me about as much as i learned.

was the spot 1,6 , is that infact antler rub on the tree?

OK didn't have time to watch all the video's
    but that tree is NOT a buck rub, that is from a beaver chewing on it
    most bucks rub trees about an inch in diameter to up to some BIG onbe's, not many will rub a tre even near that size with most being about the size of a soda can or smaller mostof the time, and they typically only rub about a 1/3 of the trees bark off on more or less one side
    it has been said it can help you tell the direction they traveled while making it, as bark side still on it, is direction of travel then aftyer rubbing it
    they also say rubs are used to markboundry lines and also travel lines, and to show markers to other bucks that one is claiming a home turf, and or just that there here, or just cause they hve nothing better to do LOl

but that tree in your pic and first vid is a beaver damaged tree

thank you mrbb for the clarification, kinda expalins why i was confused on finding it in that location , i was hoping it was a antler rub but at least im looking for clues :). and kinda helps me understand more because that lonely tree had me confused because i thought there would be no way a deer would have been at that location.

but i didnt see any other signs anywhere threw the woods of it, is that typical for this time of year?

where is this at not trying to hunt there but if needed or if you wanted i would meet you if it isnt to far away and maybe help scout it or answer questions always trying to help new hunters if so you can pm me or post on here

[QUOTE=213chrisp;156776]thank you mrbb for the clarification, kinda expalins why i was confused on finding it in that location , i was hoping it was a antler rub but at least im looking for clues :). and kinda helps me understand more because that lonely tree had me confused because i thought there would be no way a deer would have been at that location.

but i didnt see any other signs anywhere threw the woods of it, is that typical for this time of year?[/QUOTE
    mrbb is right, that is for sure not a buck rub. As nomad said, mark your yardage before you start hunting. when I was hunting on a regular basis I usually had 12-15 sets I hunted and I would pre-range 3 or four shots at each location, mark them down in a notebook and look at it before I left. I will add one thing, don't ever assume there is no deer in a certain area. As soon as you do, one will be looking up at you, or staring at you through the blind window at 15 yards.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

well again didn't have time to watch all the video's, but it seems like your in a good area, with deer
    deer will be any place a beaver will be, so just cause you don't see sign, doesn't mean deer don't go there, they like swampy area's
    they like thick area's, and open area's, and so on
    deer live by this simple rule more or less
    they need food, water, and safety
    any place that they can eat and feel safe, they will be there, after they eat, they will some time down the road need water
    they can go many many hrs without food or water, even a day or more, but they need to eat and drink to live
    Safety tends to be there number one concern in the world in most places, from about Aug, till about March, with late dec to late feb with food being some times a major factor
    deer are browsers by nature, meaning they were designed by nature to live off broswe, browse being soft ediable woody matter, like twigs/buds, and young tree's
    its due to farming, that deer have learned to eat crops, but its not there main diet all yr in most places
    so most deer live in area's with lots of browse
    area's with lots of browse tend to also offer lots of cover, which in turns, means lots of safety, and fast excapes
    they will also bed in thick area's, and travel to food, liek crop fields
    deer in some places will walk a few miles from where they bed to where they eat every day, , very common out west
    but in the NE part of america, deer tend to live/bed closer when ever possible
    places that get the least amount of disturbance , from hunters hikers, traffic and what ever , make the best bedding area;'s as long as they have cover and safety to the deer
    a deer will bed in about any place it feels safe, from hiding behind a single bush all day, to in the middle of a swamp, on a river island or???
    the name of the game in hunting deer is trying to guess where they will be and be there before they get there
    since food is something we know they have to have to live, setting up on or near food, and catching them eating or on there way to eat is always a great place to sit for one
    next setting up just a ways from a bedding area, getting them on there way back to a bedding area is another good place
    pinch points between these two area's is normally a hot spot
    how far from food or bedding??
    that is the hard part, and why hunting is a challange so many enjoy trying to beat/figure out
    so if you have the desire to try, you will learn as you go, only about 15% of hunters kill a deer on average , many times its cause its just not that easy, and other times cause folks don't have teh time to invest, or others don't see the deer they want, but still,
    hunting isn't the highest odds game out there
    and again, that's the challange we all seem to enjoy

scouting camera's are great, but just cause tou get a pic of a deer at 1 pm today does NOT mean at 1 pm it is there again, deer don't live that patterenable in 99% of the places they roam and live
    tracks help tell a story, but tracks don't always tell you what time they were made, and a single deer can make a ton of tracks in short time

you seem like you want to hunt, and learn
    I strongly suggest you
    ask questions as you go, read , subscribe to several hunting magazines if you can afford them, like outdoor life, whitetal, north american hunter, JOIN the NRA too, always a great thing to do, being a member you will get a free monthly magazine too, and a good one too!
    I wouldn't suggest learning how to hunt by watching TV hunting show's
    sadly far too many hunt in places the average person cannot afford to
    and they wil make it look way easier than it really is, and maybe make you feel like your failing when your really not
    there TV shows, made to entertain, not so much teach you how to hunt
    I persona;y am not a fan of most, they IMO lie far too many times about things they do
    to new people, maybe its not so noticable, but to folks that have earned there hunting experience's from YRS of doing it
    it turns a lot of us more experienced hunters off fast!
    if you liek to read, theer are tons of great books out there to give idea's on how to hunt and ways to try
    and from there you can do the one's you like, and want to
    there isn't any real way of doing it wrong, to a point of course
    just be safe, that inclused learning propper ways to use weapons, how to safely be in the outdoos, watching backgrounds when shooting and treestand safety if you use them, and also, blind safety if you use them,
    just enjoy, and don't worry about making mistakes we all make them, thats a great way to learn too, good luck and feel free to ask, site seems to be running better, so odds are you will get more feedback now too!

Thread Information