Thread: new to hunting and bows. can anyone help?

Hybrid View

which is what i thought, being its private land i dont have to worry about others trailing threw the woods, the deer are no where near as pressured to come out of the woods or move around and feed cause there "safe" in that location , or at least was :) , i know deer are smarter and also stupider then people want to beleive , its just a matter of figuring out feeding/bedding areas and pick a spot between and wait.

thats right and again, come gun season, deer will be all over the dam place, as all them places no one has been in months will get pressure in most places, private or public
    making almost any place a good place to be on opening day
    just be safe and watch out for guys shooting and not paying attenion to back grounds
    one time of yr that maybe being up a tree is a safer place to be LOl
    oh well, hunting is a super safe sport
    I live in a state that used to have over a million gun hunters hitting the woods opening day, and it was very rare a person ever got shot! and that was with rifles that can send a bullet a few miles,too!
    last yr we actually had a zero % of accidents in the hunting season, a first ina while, but considering how many hunters we have, that make hunting a pretty safe sport overall

im ready to get back out there, probably will go hunting sat evening, like 1pm till sundown. just where i dont know yet, either public in the same spot ive been at before, or private land that ive not scouted but friend told me where i should go there.

well good luck

Good luck and have fun with it. Opening of gun season is always an adventure. Half the fun is deciding where to hunt. There are alot of "spots" in the woods so don't get too attached to one or the other. I mostly hunt public land and have killed a few deer over the years. Not until recently have I had pretty good semi consistent success and as such I have matured and turned into a better hunter and I transitioned from a gun hunter to an archery hunter my success has increased with the amount of time I am able to put in in archery season. It really is a good time. I am still a meat hunter I've just gotten much more confident in my stand choices.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

just checked out the weather and it says south winds, if that is true, then should i sit on fart north side of a field and go inside the woods about 20 yards and have my back to the field and hunt downwind ?

Sounds like a plan to me. I don't pay too much attention to the wind direction in so far as most of my sets have a prevailing wind direction and hunting in the mountains the actual wind direction may be different from the weather. Just try to keep the wind in your face especially when hunting on the ground. Now saying that I still do pay attention to the wind but I don not let it completely dictate where I will hunt unless it is high winds etc and in those cases you dont want to be on the top of the hill but rather out of the wind.

Now should I pay more attention to the wind probably but I dont. Now if you want to play the game with the wind I say go for it. It cant hurt you chances of success to play the wind correctly.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information