09/27/11 (Tue) PM report- Got out of the office late at 5:00 and headed to a spot on a piece of property my cousin has leased. I'm very familiar with the property because I used to hunt it before Mead/West Vaco/F&W purchased it. I hadn't previously prepared this ground spot I was heading to so when I got there I had to quickly trim some shooting lanes and prepare a ground spot behind a big white oak. The spot was on a hillside which overlooked a fence corner where thick brush meets 10 year old pine trees. Below me was a hollow. Deer skirt around the fence corner to travel through the area, making for a perfect ambush site. So I tucked myself back behind a white oak, behind the fence and waited for the evening to unfold. The mosquitoes were bad and the weather was warm, with little wind. At 6:40 I caught a glimpse of a deer coming around the fence corner. I was standing so I grabbed my bow. The yearling doe fed around the corner, through the saplings I had just cut, and started up the fence line toward me. At 10 yards she stopped broadside, I drew, and let the arrow fly. However because she was so close my fletching hit the top fence wire and sailed over her back. Uh-oh. She ran into the pines and deer started blowing in all directions. I quickly knocked another arrow and right after that a mature doe came around the fence corner below me and was heading toward the pines where the yearling went. The mature doe stopped at 25 yards, quartering away, and I had to move slightly to my left to shoot around a fence post. I let the arrow fly and she bounded off and blew a couple times when running off, which was weird for a mortally wounded deer to do. The mature doe went into the pines and there was silence. I was pretty sure I put a good shot on her but I waited 20 minutes, found the arrow, and found her. She was a big doe. I hit her perfectly, the broadhead entered in front of her back hip and exited behind her opposite front shoulder, going right through the diaphragm. 40 yards is all she could go before meeting her maker. I must say I was very impressed by the way my Scentlok Vertigo Tan coveralls blended in to the brush. The yearling at 10 yds and the mature doe at 25 yds could not pick me out.