Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tagged out?

Tagged out?

Has anyone tagged completely out in the state of Ohio? That's 18 deer spread out across all 3 of Ohio's zones. If not how close have you got?

i am pretty sure the most deer you can shoot is like 6 might want to read the regulations again

Here in Hamilton County (Zone C) we can take 6 deer IF you hunt in the urban zones however you can
    take an additional 6 for a total of 12. I personally tagged 10 last year & 7 of my fellow urban hunters
    actually filled all 12 tags. If you head to Zone B you can take 4 more deer, and Zone A allows for 2 more
    for a total of 18. Since I am considering trying to do this in this upcoming season I spoke with a rep at the Div. of Wildlife who confirmed all of this yesterday

I knew the urban zone deer did not cout against your season limit, but I thought you were limited to 6 other deer total. But I'm now not sure that is true. I found this on the Ohio DNR site:

"■ Deer Zone bag limits are separate and do not impact deer hunting in other Deer Zones."

The quote is from this page, and you have to scroll down just below the map of Ohio to see it.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/...ting_deer.aspx

It seems that Ohio has given us a rare window of opportunity to have an incredible year.

My question is why would you feel the need to take 18 deer?

I only take what I plan to eat. That is usually 3 deer.

Our family can handle about 4, but last year I was able to bless 6 other families with organic, renewable, sustainable & local venison.
    Unfortunately, I had several friends that I was not able to give a deer to. On the positive note from the six I gave away, two are, as of
    this season new bow-hunters & cannot wait to take their first deer.
    So, to answer the question of why, to share the harvest & to spread the excitement of this wonderful pursuit.

I applaud the fact that you give back, and don’t see an issue with utilizing the urban program along with your regular tags (personally I think 6 is way to many, and glad that they tweaked the regs. at least a little). The city is going to get rid of “X” amount of deer whether you do it or they pay a company, ie Cleveland Metro Parks. But IMO your just a “numbers” guy and want to brag about the number of deer you kill, typical “if it’s brown it’s down” mentality I’m use to here in NE Ohio. So again IMO you don’t have to kill 18 deer to “share the harvest & to spread the excitement of this wonderful pursuit.”

Currently Mason, but raised in adams county
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksonly View Post
    I applaud the fact that you give back, and don’t see an issue with utilizing the urban program along with your regular tags (personally I think 6 is way to many, and glad that they tweaked the regs. at least a little). The city is going to get rid of “X” amount of deer whether you do it or they pay a company, ie Cleveland Metro Parks. But IMO your just a “numbers” guy and want to brag about the number of deer you kill, typical “if it’s brown it’s down” mentality I’m use to here in NE Ohio. So again IMO you don’t have to kill 18 deer to “share the harvest & to spread the excitement of this wonderful pursuit.”
    I'm confused why you think he is bragging? Do you like to hunt deer? I'm sure you as does everyone on this site enjoys hunting! I say if the rules allow it (which I think he has his rules mixed up) then you should kill however many you can legally tag and use. I think its great when people give the meat away. Especially in this economy! As long as he's not wasting them I say have at it! Obviously we have a population problem with the deer so something has to be done! And the great state of Ohio allows us to be the "problem solvers"!!! Bottom line, if you can only use one deer per year then kill one, if you can use 18, same thing! As long as its legal!!

Thread Information