Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plots with fourwheelers

well like every thing, you can do a cheap way or the right way
    and many times the results are based on how you invest
    that said, it can make a difference doing even just a cheap try
    meaning you can just frost seed the roads with clover seeds in the spring time, and sure some clover will grow
    but by hunting season, most will be over taken by weeds
    you can just spray with round up in spring and keep it dead till a summer planting, and then again just scuff up the ground with an old piece of chain link fence and fertilize and lime and seed, and again clover, and many other things will gorw,
    you just will not get great takes
    BUt deer will still find it and feed on it, as it will be an improvemnt to the area for them
    nothing is cheap these days,
    but if you look at it as an investment, its easier to swallow
    any thng you plant will improve your hunting lands, even cheap ass plots
    but like I said, once you start to see what they can do, you tend to get more involved and go bigger, like most hobbies
    the possitive like I said, is almost anything you buy, you should be able to sell pretty easy, and hunters every yr do food plots more and more!

good luck

i found this thread while doing a google search. it basically makes alot of points about how i was thinking i could make plots and it kind of goes in the opposite direction of how you do it. it is more about spraying and no till seeding and its definately worth a read.... http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthrea...t=sold+tractor
    ive hunted my whole life, the rest I just wasted

Quote Originally Posted by rednecklb69 View Post
    i found this thread while doing a google search. it basically makes alot of points about how i was thinking i could make plots and it kind of goes in the opposite direction of how you do it. it is more about spraying and no till seeding and its definately worth a read.... http://www.qdma.com/forums/showthrea...t=sold+tractor

well I read a little of that, and to me I think its very miss leading
    and to honest a lie, or deceiving (not bashing here)
    here is my reason, to plant NO till, you have to get seeds in the soil
    and any NO till planting seeder you will find even used is going to cost several thousand bucks, and I have never seen one that can be pulled by an ATV, they require hydraulic's to operate the down force
    a NO till drill works by having enough down force to make a hole in the soil to drop a seed in and then cover it all in one pass, thus not requiring the soil to be worked over
    that is what NO TILL planting is!, planting without working over the soil!, a good NO till drill can add fertilizer and even liquid lime all in the one pass as it seeds too!, thus not needing to work the soil over to get it to the seed and or about it!

thus him saying NO TILL is a better way
    well that part I agree with 100 %, to a point
    what I mean is when its possible, yes thats a great way to plant, saves on soil errosion too a lot!
    BUT
    all crops
    sooner or later,
    will have to be rotated, just due to how they use the nutrients in the soil, so you will either have to be adding a ton of what there using to keep like crops in that area, or you will have to rotate sooner or later

secondly
    if the soil PH of where ever you plan to plant is BAD, it will simply not allow "X" seed to grow, or grow properly
    thus you will be wasting your time and money , clearing and prepping a site and the money you are paying for the seeds

third, seeds need to have contact with the soil, some need to be buried to a certain depth, something a NO TILL drill does super well, and again why I agree they work if you have one to use, and its simply a FACT, they disturb a lot less seeds already in the soil, by not having to turn the ground over, and thus causing all them un wanted seeds to start to grow

BUT if your site needs lime, to correct PH<
    IT is impossible to correct soil PH with lime, without mixing it into the soil
    that's a fact
    some of the liquid Lime that's out there will help the top some, but it still works tons better if its sprayed on turned over ground

and last
    even if you spray down a site with lets say a round up type chemical
    and then clear the top , leaves, and debris of it
    if its never been worked over, it simply might be too hard for many seeds to grow in it, being too compacted
    now I am not saying SOMETHING Won't come up
    as there is always some seeds that will find there way to soil and sprout

BUT in NO way shape or form will you have a great take
    thus again meaning you will have wasted a lot of time and money on something that will not last long, or provide much feed to your critters

so again, to do food plots, PLOTS that will be productive for you
    you have to
    1.) do a soil test and get PH correct, this is by far the most important deal maker or breaker here
    2.) get the lime and fertilizer it needs mixed into that soil
    3.) gets the seeds into contact with the soil, as THAT Seed requires

how you do them 3 things , doesn't really matter, but they need to be done if you plan to have plots that last and produce amounts of food that will help your deer
    other wise you adding little to cause any realm effects

Not bashing anyone here, just trying to help you from experience
    its always better to do a small plot RIGHT than a bunch of them wrong, will save you tons in the long run, and get you much better results
    you can do plots with an ATV, that's 100% correct, and you can do plots without one too
    a tractor is always best on most plots too, anyone that say's other wise, never had use of a tractor
    and a small tractor costs a lot less than a bigger ATV too, and will do 10 times the work without as much labor or time too, or wear and tear on it!
    but there not needed either
    many folks do them with just hand tools and HARD work
    using power tools, tillers, ATv's, tractors all just make it easier and less time consuming
    so does the type of land you have to make them on,
    lots of things can be rented too, and not purchased too
    as well as asking local farmers to do the work for you for a price too
    I think that is one of the most over looked options
    but to plant NO till correctly,it takes a tractor and a NO Till drill to do so
    anything else is more or less , whats called frost seeding, and or just throwing seeds , and praying and hoping they grow!

Thread Information