Thread: Bad News!!! I fell from my tree stand.

Hybrid View

Sorry to hear this. From your description, I would say that you had someone looking out for you. I know it probably doesn't feel that way though. A fall like that many times is catastrophic. Glad you are o.k. ( relatively speaking). Hope you get good news from the Surgeons. Thanks for sharing the story - I somebody out there reads it and decides to start using a harness! Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear about your close call. Three guys I know in my small town who have permanent injuries from tree stand falls... You are very fortunate. Not going to dole out any advice because I know it could happen to any of us. I am religious about my harness... but equipment fails. I actually was thinking in the stand last night how much more brave and confident I have become since I began using a harness. I actually relax about falling once I am hooked up... which is obviously dangerous in itself. As I was practicing leaning out over my stand (with my harness holding me secure) to see if I could potentially take a shot, it occured to me. I have placed way too much trust in my harness. Anyhow... I hope you heal up fast and stick a big one. You will remember this season for a long time.

sorry to hear about your fall, and hope you recover as fast as possible
    BUT I have to ask, why woudl you leave a stand up for that long?
    I mean, NOT to bash on you
    but the MGF"s suggest NOT leaving a stand up for more than a few weeks?
    18 yr?
    WOW
    I don't even keep metal ladderstands that long, after 10 yrs, I cut em down and scrap them
    a growing tree has unreal power to stress welds,nuts and bolts and what not's
    its one of the reason, so many folks stopped making there own wooden stands, like yrs ago, most hunters did(or up my way)
    the growing tree would tear them apart in time, long with the wind moving them, swaying back and forth
    and it caused a ton of falls
    safe today, bad tomorrow!

I hope maybe your fall will , make other re think things about leaving stands up long periods of time!
    as again, its really NOT a good idea to leave stands up for long periods of time!

Thread Information