Thread: In the stand

Threaded View

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161107_112003.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	11359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161107_083612.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	11360

I got to the woods, set out the decoy, and climb in at 6:00 yesterday morning. All was quiet until I picked this guy up trotting across a cut bean field about 500 yards out. I got my binoculars on him and watched him the entire way headed straight for me, mouth was hanging open, tongue out and I could tell he had been running after something or from something. Anyways as I was watching I decided that, even know he wasn't a giant, I decided that if he gave me a shot a was going to take it. Hit the edge of the woods and saw the decoy, circled downwind which was closer to me, and entered the woods almost even with the stand. As he started walking I could see he was going to come right behind the stand, the whole time checking out the decoy. He got behind a small tree and I came to full draw, as soon as he cleared one last branch, he stopped locked on the decoy. And I let it fly! Clean pass through, double lung'd him, he ran 40 yards and crashed. I know there's plenty of mixed reviews on using decoys but having the decoy out took me from having a 30-35 yard shot to having a 12 yard shot with no attention on me. I know he's not huge and the rut is right around the corner but boys I just couldn't resist him. Plus he'll make a nice European mount lol!
    Last edited by zachc; 11-08-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    I live life at full draw....

Thread Information