Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: In the stand

Nothing yesterday evening, so far nothing this morning. Anyone else basically seeing nothing?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161107_112003.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	11359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161107_083612.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	11360

I got to the woods, set out the decoy, and climb in at 6:00 yesterday morning. All was quiet until I picked this guy up trotting across a cut bean field about 500 yards out. I got my binoculars on him and watched him the entire way headed straight for me, mouth was hanging open, tongue out and I could tell he had been running after something or from something. Anyways as I was watching I decided that, even know he wasn't a giant, I decided that if he gave me a shot a was going to take it. Hit the edge of the woods and saw the decoy, circled downwind which was closer to me, and entered the woods almost even with the stand. As he started walking I could see he was going to come right behind the stand, the whole time checking out the decoy. He got behind a small tree and I came to full draw, as soon as he cleared one last branch, he stopped locked on the decoy. And I let it fly! Clean pass through, double lung'd him, he ran 40 yards and crashed. I know there's plenty of mixed reviews on using decoys but having the decoy out took me from having a 30-35 yard shot to having a 12 yard shot with no attention on me. I know he's not huge and the rut is right around the corner but boys I just couldn't resist him. Plus he'll make a nice European mount lol!
    Last edited by zachc; 11-08-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    I live life at full draw....

congrats ton you on a fine buck,
    and glad to see someone on the site score already too LOL

I think decoys are like this, when they work, THEY WORK, but when they don't they are a pain in the butt to carry in and all that goes with keeping one LOL

I personally have had more BAD luck with them than good, so I gave up using them and sold all of mine HAHA!

killed tons of deer without them and only a couple with, and the biggest buck I ever had a chance at, got scared off on a decoy I had out, was coming in on a string and then seen decoy froze up, got into a staring match with decoy for about 15 minutes
    and then I swear , it figured out it was fake and did a 180 and left
    to this day I swear had that decoy been home, I would have had that buck, a 180+ deer to boot
    and had a few other like encounters
    decoy was a small 6 point rack, and all the deer were MUCH bigger, NO reason to be scared, OTHER then they figured out decoy was just that LOL

if you have faith in them, all they can do maybe is help you stay in the stand or hunt more
    so that side I say is a plus
    and again, when they work, they work?

Congrats on the fine buck.

I have been out the past 3 day. 2 nearly all day sits and today I walked and walked from 8-12:30 and covered lots of ground in the rain and still have yet to see as much as a tail. So no deer to report here. I havnt been seeing them when driving, no road kills. Its just dead. I talked to a guy today that has hunted the last 11 or so hunting days in PA and he said he only saw 2-3. I am pretty disheartened. But I guess there is always tomorrow. May have to try somewhere different tomorrow.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Good job zach!!!!! After being on vacation for 2 weeks and seeing about 6 deer, Thursday it finally broke. I didn't shoot any thing but I saw 8 bucks and 3 does. Had one decent buck as close as 40 yards but wasn't taking that shot. I did take a shot at a Long Beard but underestimated the distance and shot under him. So far this morning I've seen 2 small bucks. Hoping to at least put a decent one down before I go back to work Saturday night.

Thanks guys. Anyone have any luck this week? I'm going to hit up behind the house in the morning and see what, if anything, is moving back there. Tuesday on the way to work I saw a decent buck chasing a doe across a cut bean field. With these cooler temps sticking around finally I think the rut should be in fill swing here anytime! Hoping to drop a nice fat doe in the morning tho. But I'll be happy just to see some deer back there...

Congrats Zach I haven't been out alot this year maybe 8 times with 2 all day sits haven't seen much other than does with fawns in my area haven't been out in over a week maybe tomorrow morning if I finish up the job today

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So far this morning only a small 7 pointer about 7:30 or so. That beeze picked up and is COLD!! Lol.

Saturday morning was good but still no deer. I saw 5 bucks and one doe. I thought I was going to get a shot on a 130" 10 point but I could never get him in a shooting lane. Had him at 20 yards a couple times but no shot.

Now I cant get back out til Monday or Tuesday.

Thread Information