Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: In the stand

ManOfTheFall get the cotton out of your hunting gear and you will be warmer. I went all synthetic years ago and say way warmer not that I ever did. I sat in stand all day last late season when the high was 14* and never got cold. As the saying goes "cotton kills"
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Same old story Tuesday evening. Saw 2 just as I was getting down out of the stand. Hopefully with the real cold temps Thursday evening they will be moving a little earlier.

Anyone braving the cold today? I will be going out this evening in hopes of seeing my big boy. I will be hunting his home turf this evening. I'm really hoping this cold air and the fresh smell of sugar beet syrup will bring him in.

In the stand

The other thing is your feet in the cold. I picked up a pair of boot coverings that go over my leather insulated boots. You slip them on once on the stand and zip up. Even stick a hand warmer in there. It helps.

Well good luck motf! I would say he'll be on his feet today in the daylight as cold as it is. Do you have any corn out with your sugar beet syrup? I won't be out until at least prolly Sunday, depending on this weather. As far as cold weather gear, I use under armour cold gear base layers, haven't found anything warmer yet! And I have some redhead cws parka and pants that do the job very well. My biggest thing is keeping my feet warm, even with heavy boots. So I may have to try a pair of those boot covers Jal5.
    Last edited by zachc; 12-15-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    I live life at full draw....

Yes, corn also.

this cold front should have all things looking for food, was a high here oif 10 degree's and very windy, wind chills should have been crazy low today here

as for boot blankets, I have a few pair they make a BIG difference if you ask me, BUt I have also found they can work even better if you remove your boots and just stick in DRY socks and a heat pack, they work like a sleeping bag then
    I think when your boots are off you get better blood flow or??

plus if you use the arctic shield brand one's they have that heat reflective material in them that works off body heat reflecting it back, like a space blanket then

hand muff's help too on these cold days!

Yeah staying warm is a big help worked out side all day have my under armour cold gear base layers on also and I also haven't found anything warmer yet my big problem is keeping my feet warm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Did not see anything this evening. Tomorrow evening it won't be quite as cold but with the storm moving in maybe that will get them moving. I love late season hunting and the challenges it brings. Anyone else out there really like late season hunting?

Ok, I'm giving it a break. Maybe with all the pressures of the hunting seasons the deer just need a break. It really has been one of the strangest seasons ever. I've seen way many more bucks than I have does but I know they are out there cause of all the sign. I said this earlier it really seems like to me the does have gone nocturnal at least in my neck of the woods. So, let the gun hunters have the next 2 days and then muzzle loader season then maybe after I'll hit it hard again.

Thread Information