Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: In the stand

I have said the same thing. I know the does are out there as I have seen a ton of them on my trail cams. As far as seeing does though besides about the first 10 days of the season, it's been like Zach said. I've seen lots of small bucks and besides a shooter buck here and there I've rarely seen a doe. Usually I'm filling my doe tags left and right. But out of 4 hunters in the family I am the only one that has taken out 1 doe. None of the neighbors have shot any does either. Are the does all going nocturnal too?

On the bright side, I did finally see Big Brow Double Drop on the hoof in daylight. It was only for a few seconds and through some brush about 30 yards away. Couldn't mistake those brow tines, I know it was him. I tried grunting and bleating him in but to no avail. Then a little late a 1 1/2 year old 8 point walked right past me.

Out at my uncles which is my primary private hunting spot, for the blast 13-14 years we've hunted it there is always 2-3 groups of does that run it throughout the year and this year like I've said I have literally only seen 1 lone doe out there. I guess maybe motf brings up a good point, are they going nocturnal? We all know that big mature bucks get hip to us as they grow older and tend to try to move at night most of the time. Or maybe the doe population has dropped?I see this year they have drastically cut back on the antler less tags in Ohio, only a few select counties, maybe they know something we don't? Or maybe its all the pressure being put on them from humans (hunting, building houses everywhere, poachers, etc)? Whatever it is I hope our luck changes soon cuz I would love to get a doe before shotgun season.

As far as your big boy motf hopefully you'll have a crack at him soon! Seeing him in the daylight is just another step closer ay? This weekend its supposed to get cold as h*ll! So hopefully it'll get em moving...
    I live life at full draw....

Zach it's not getting cold over my way. More of the same old, same old. Cold was last year on my birthday when it was 14 degrees and I dont know what the wind chill was. Thankfully it wasnt to windy that day. I didnt see a deer but I do remember the cold and being thankful for wind block gear and lots of layers.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Anyone out battling this wind and cold?

I take that as a no, lol. Well I should be sitting in the stand in about 7 hours or so. Gonna go ahead and put a fat doe in the freezer...hopefully! Anyone be joining me?

I'll be heading back out Tuesday evening for sure, maybe Monday evening.

Ithink the herd is way less than the ODNR estimates. Been seeing fewer deer for several years. They never take into account the deer killed by coyotes plus we were encouraged to take too many does over too many years. Therefore less deer now.
    Rant is over.

I was in the stand at 6:09 this morning. At 6:55 I had a decent lil 7 pointer come in and eat on my corn pile 15 yards in front of the stand for about 15 minutes or so. Sat til almost 10 and didn't see another deer. But I was lucky enough to see 4.6 million squirrels! Lol. I pulled my trail cam card today and the past week the bucks have been moving. Have videos of 4-5 different bucks, nothing huge but hey this year I'll take videos of any deer I can get. Still yet to see any does cruising around. Not sure if I'll hit it in the morning or not...

Didn't get out Monday evening but I will definitely be in the stand Tuesday evening.

Thread Information