Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: In the stand

I am headed out this afternoon and then hunting the next four days in Muskingum County, Ohio. I saw my big wide Hartford Insurance Deer in the flesh in daylight on Tuesday evening for the first time. He was about 120 yds away on a cut cornfield with a mature doe. Hoping to get a crack at him now that things are picking up. I am going to try and slip in the area with my climber in the early afternoon without getting too close to where I think he is bedding. Things are definitely starting to pick up in SE Ohio...

Best of luck to you as well mneal. I prolly won't hit the stand until Nov 3rd, as with many of us I have to try and make the wife happy so that when my vacation days roll around I'm able to be in the stand. Lol!
    I live life at full draw....

Saturday morning about 8:30 out of nowhere I look to my right and there appeared to be a giant 10. When he cleared a tree his right side was like 3 or 4 spikes sticking up but I took a crack at him when he gave me the opportunity. Only problem was I was shooting to the right, my bad side. He was going away from me and I had to take the shot. Went right under him. I didn't go out this evening cause I wanted to confirm it was me and not the bow and it was me. Although I did make a couple minor tweaks. This is the first I've ever saw this buck, very unique deer. Next time out will be Monday morning.

Out last night... sat through some rain early and then conditions were perfect as the wind died and woods were quiet. Had eight does walk by me... in two different groups about 20 minutes apart. No bucks following them and they did not seem to be pushed at all.

Got a mini vacation coning up this week, off Thursday-Monday and I plan on hitting it hard this week. Temps are supposed to drop the end of the week, should be nice. Gonna try to start Thursday morning with the decoy and smashing the antlers together! I'm so pumped!

Been in the stand since Monday morning. My crew is seeing younger bucks cruising... bumping does a bit. Cameras are showing the big deer on their feet looking...mostly after dark. Should be getting better every day from here on through next week. Tonight should be the last of the real hot weather. Rain coming through tomorrow... should get interesting real soon.

So looking at the forecast last night there's a 67% chance of rain between 8-10 am this morning, so hey I'll opt for an evening hunt. Well while we were running errands this morning not hardly a drop of rain. As I'm getting ready to walk to the stand about 2:30, I hear the neighbor yelling for his beagles. I step in the woods and there he is with his 3 dogs and 2 hawks he hunts with. "Is that your stand there?" he says, yeah I reply. "Ok I'm gonna get out of here then." And wouldn't you know it he walks his dogs straight in front of my stand and through the woods in front of it, in the opposite direction of his house, follows the finger of the woods out into the field and 30 minutes later walks across the open bean field...yep...right by the stand again! 20 minutes after he walks across the field, there goes his 2 other beagles. On top of that, 10 minutes in the stand I got dumped on, and on, and on some more. Finally had enough of getting rained on and being that a bunch of dogs prolly ruined my hunt, I tapped out and headed for the house. Needless to say, not seeing anything. Gonna try the decoy and antlers in the morning. Hopefully with better results...

Quote Originally Posted by zachc View Post
    So looking at the forecast last night there's a 67% chance of rain between 8-10 am this morning, so hey I'll opt for an evening hunt. Well while we were running errands this morning not hardly a drop of rain. As I'm getting ready to walk to the stand about 2:30, I hear the neighbor yelling for his beagles. I step in the woods and there he is with his 3 dogs and 2 hawks he hunts with. "Is that your stand there?" he says, yeah I reply. "Ok I'm gonna get out of here then." And wouldn't you know it he walks his dogs straight in front of my stand and through the woods in front of it, in the opposite direction of his house, follows the finger of the woods out into the field and 30 minutes later walks across the open bean field...yep...right by the stand again! 20 minutes after he walks across the field, there goes his 2 other beagles. On top of that, 10 minutes in the stand I got dumped on, and on, and on some more. Finally had enough of getting rained on and being that a bunch of dogs prolly ruined my hunt, I tapped out and headed for the house. Needless to say, not seeing anything. Gonna try the decoy and antlers in the morning. Hopefully with better results...
    Good luck Zac gonna try to get out of work early and head to the stand if not tomorrow morning I will be there and sit as long as I can

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So this week I've only seen 2 shooters. I've seen several 1 1/2 year olds, but haven't seen any does. With the cooler weather kicking in hopefully it gets better. Haven't seen my big boy on the hoof yet. Hoping to real soon. I'm in a stand near his area now.

Sat. Morning for sure

Thread Information