Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining permission....?

Hybrid View

Gaining permission....?

Ok not sure about y'all but over the last 6-7 years it seems like I/we have lost a good bit of private land to deer hunt, due to property being sold, other hunters messing it up, etc. We purchased the house we're in now about 3 years ago and I have been looking around at all of these small (5-30) acre plots of woods scattered around here throughout the crop fields. But here's the catch, to be honest if I don't really know you I don't have that much to say to you. So I plan on trying to find out who owns these plots of woods and in the next few weeks go try to get permission to hunt them. My method of doing so is probably going to be simply knocking on doors and talking. Now I follow all hunting laws and am respectful as anyone can be when it comes to someone else's property...but how do I portray this to the landowner as I ask for permission? What advice do y'all have when it comes to gaining access to private land when you are a complete stranger to the landowner? Any pointers?
    I live life at full draw....

First I try and strike up a conversation with them, get a feel for what kind of person they are. Second, I begin talking about the local deer herd and ask if they have any issues with it. Thirdly I will let them know I am strictly a bow hunter. To me it seems people are more receptive to that. I hunt on one plot of land and have been I believe now for 8 years. The land owner really likes my family and myself but last year for the first time I asked if I could take my grandson on the youth gun hunt and he said no dice. Not having any gun hunters on his property period. Also, if you see some things that need tended to on the property politely offer your services. Just my take on a few tips and pointers that might get you in.

Just fixed an elevator at a church in some pretty good hunting area down here in Louisiana and I was talking with the fella that met me there. After completing the task at hand I ask him what a guy would have to do I order to find a place to bow hunt around here. Some back and forth begins and I tell him I'm really not looking to fill the freezer I just need a place to take my 6 year old son. He tells me he owns 90 down the road that he cuts mostly for hay but has woods around the edge and some brushy draws. I tell him I greatly appreciate it and he would talk to other church members to see if anyone else has some spots for us to hunt. I guess what I'm getting at is , if you don't ask you'll never get permission. I did tell him I would give him some of the deer but he says others already give him enough. I asked if he liked to fish and he said yes. So will be taking him and his wife to catch a bunch of redfish for the grill. God is good and he will provide!

I have asked 10 people around me and all have said no maybe it is time to go further not sure I hunt close to where I live around 30 to 45 minutes might all be public land again

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That seems to be the common answer these days. No one wants to let you hunt their property for free. Sure for a couple thousand $$ you can hunt my property! Uhhh no. I was talking to a guy at work the other day about it and he said last year him and his buddy went around 6 straight Saturdays and out of about 40 people, 2 gave them permission. I mean I know why, and understand why, all these shmuks going around tearing up private land and shooting anything that moves! Making it a bad deal for all of us real hunters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by 00buck View Post
    I have asked 10 people around me and all have said no maybe it is time to go further not sure I hunt close to where I live around 30 to 45 minutes might all be public land again

I live life at full draw....

I would love to ask and keep asking or be able to afford a lease but they are very expensive and not fees able at this time

I have hunted a LOT of private lands over the yrs, and got access many times by simply asking
    BUT I never start asking for permission this time of yr
    I think a LOT of land owners get put off when a person shows up just before or during hunting season to ask for permission
    being a land owner for many yrs I know for a fact, having folks approach me in the middle of the season, I find tacky!
    as it they never put an ounce of effort into thing prior to the season!
    I have always had my best luck getting access to shed hunt in the late winter early spring
    it gives me a chance to get to meet the folks in a typically slow time of yr
    and I ONLY ask for permission to look for sheds
    this then in return allows me to scout the lands, before I make of my mind IF I really wish to hunt the area or not

after a few seasons,(or if the owners says I can hunt before I ask)
    I ask after we got some relation build with me shed hunting
    I also NEVER show up empty handed, small things, a pie, a cake, if a beer drinker some beer, or the likes
    I also at this time ask them there felling on hunting, I find a LOT of older land owners USED to be hunters then gave it up for ?? reasons/age or??
    SO If they tell me they like venison, that is always a top gift for me to grease the wheels so to speak!

something also to keep in mind
    this time of yr farmers are getting ready to be SWAPPED real soon with work
    last thing they need is folks bothering them asking for permission to hunt
    right back to what I said about wrong time of yr to be asking IMO>

I also bring hunt permission slips with me that show, that I relieve them of any liability if I should get hurt or?? in states where its viable
    here in PA< no such forms exist, so few land owners TRUST anything you make up
    also a BIG reason many land owners say NO to hunters, scared of law suits!
    and sadly its due to good reasons!

another tip will be talk to your local game warden in area's you wish to try in
    they know many times of folks that are more open to the asking, or have crop damage and want HELP
    offering to shoot a doe or two and NOT just a buck can also open doors at times

just wanting to use someone's land to kill a BIG buck, is also some what a insult to a land owner IF there hunters too
    as again, its a mutual respect issue, you need to develop with land owners to gain there trust and approval to hunt many times

there is also a new GPS like system out there /APP, that will show you boundary lines and land owners name and many times there contact info
    I forget the real name but do a search for GPS land owners hunters boundary lines
    and something should pop up
    its I think like a 100 bucks for a state, or a broken down LARGE section of the state
    it was made for hunters about 2 yrs ago when I think I first seen it on the market

real cool deal, as if your ever tracking a deer, it will show you where your at on the property you have access to and the boundary and then who own's the next land if it leaves where your OK at
    !
    Last!

gaining access is something like hunting,(hunting for a place call it)
    the more you put into it, the better success you get, some places are easier than others, JUST like hunting!! LOl

Oh no mrbb I started at the end of last season. I wouldn't ask this close to the opener not a lot of time to scout hang stands and everything else plus I like to give the woods time to settle for a few weeks prior to the start of the season

wasn't trying to say you were a late asker here
    was just throwing decent INFO out for anyone that reads my post

as we all know, we have MORE readers here than folks that add to the site//

some times getting access is just hard when you want it in a certain area, over just say access to decent lands

me I have access both close and far, but to be honest I seem to always enjoy the hunts better when I have to travel to them
    I think the time, and added costs, make me, hunt smarter and harder, as I don't take the trips as lightly as I do when I can just run down the road or out the back yard any time I want

plus I find there to be more of a mystery to things, NOT living close by to see and know MOST bucks that are about

after strictly managing some lands here near me, it was super rare to have a buck show up I didn't know
    at some point it got a little old hunting this way to me, as you knew what the bests bucks were and here in PA< most are NOT what I am after, so you hunt knowing there isn't anything really you want

where as out of town hunts, leave that NEVER know what will show up, more likely feeling!
    just my 2 cents , on a possible perk to having to drive a little farther than wanted , to gain access!!

I agree with you that's why I am doing it old school this year no cameras no plots no feeder just some scouting and that's it

Thread Information