Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Season Hunting Question?????

Late Season Hunting Question?????

This year with the much warmer weather we have been having I have not seen the typical deer numbers I have seen in years past. These spots I've been frequenting have always given me great success in the past when it was really cold. I am beginning to wonder if they have changed their typical winter pattern due to the warmer temperatures. Input would be appreciated.

Deer around me have been nocturnal haven't seen the numbers as before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sat as much as I could yesterday in a good travel corridor that has 6-7 heavy trails intersecting. I sat from 8-330 and saw zero deer. I dont think they are moving much during daylight hours. I am going into the bedding area next Wednesday when I go out. It cant hurt at this juncture. I am on public land so I am just going to go for it and see what happens. Whats the worst thing I dont see anything.... again. Its .5+ mile hike back in so I will probably be alone. I only have until Jan 9th to hunt in PA
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Late season hunting anymore to me, the BEST time to be out is the LAST 2 hrs, rest of the day in my area was useless to be out, unless a storm front was rolling in or??
    way I see it in late season is ., longer your in a STAND< your just getting colder, fidgety and dropping scent, to already higher alert deer after being hunted so long in PA

even when I was on prime land, I seldom seen any deer in PA moving before last hr or so
    were always bedded LONG before sun light

so, in late season I just got on stand last 2 yr or a hair more if weather was good, or a storm was rolling in, any sudden drop in temps like, would go sooner

but after yrs of trying ALL day sits in late season, here in PA< I gave up, and just them last 2 hrs, rest of day I spent doing other things and had better luck hunting this way
    I know many will disagree, and say cannot kill one NOT being out there, BUT to me, being out there longer was hurting my odds, as scent free as I could be, I was still putting scent out, and longer you spend in ONE spot, more scent you drop in THAT spot
    so late season, I tried to NOT be in my GOOD spots long if I could help it!

Have not seen a single deer here since the first shotgun season ended.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Mrbb I would only do afternoon hunts but when I am taking vacation time and the my hunting window is 8 to 330 because I need to be home to help with the kiddo, I hunt when I can. If I could only hunt the last few hours and stay till dark I certainly would love to. I need to explore some game lands closer to home than the 20 minutes I drive now from home to the game lands I hunt. Might have to find some spots I can get in and out of quickly. These .5+ mile hikes eat up alot of hunting time. Ohh the off season work is just beginning.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

you,. life can control your seat time in the woods better than anything
    hunt when you can, works for many of us. and has killed a LOT of deer over the yrs I bet too!

and a 1/2 mile can eat up some in and out time for sure,
    but sure beats the BIG woods 2-3 mile hikes in and out
    and a BIG plus on dragging one out!, that 1/2 mile seems easy after some 3+ mile drags LOL
    been there a few too many times yrs past

been spoiled the last few yrs, being able to drive an ATV right all my last 10-20 kills!, and NOT complaining either!
    done my fair share of dragging and back packing game out, but if atv's were allowed on game lands in hunting season, there would be roads every where and ruin what we have in remote places
    so, in a way GLAD game lads are off limits, be nice if opened SOME to atv's in summer time however!, and charge for permits to generate some extra income
    say from June 1 st to Aug 30 th or so!
    NOT like many game lands now don't see atv as is, LOTS of trespassing ATV's on one's around us here
    why not make a few bucks and f=give us ATV owners some place legal to ride I say!

Same here, very little deer movement in daylight hours. I run a couple cameras 24/7/365 and 95% of my pics have been after dark. Haven't had a daylight pic in a about a month and a half. Seeing a lot of them driving home at night to. So I would say yes, they are definitely changing their patterns to adapt to the weather...which works to their advantage, lol.
    I live life at full draw....

I usually don't do morning sits in the late season but I did go out this morning and saw none. I will be going back out Saturday evening.

Saturday evening I had a 1 1/2 year old fork horn and 2 doe fawns walk past me at 10 yards. That was all I saw. Monday and Tuesday it's suppose to be even colder so maybe some of the older deer will be on their feet before dark. I will be going out both evenings. I'm still after a hit list buck but haven't seen any shooter bucks since mid November.

Thread Information