Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What trail cams do you like

you'll do a LOT better then patterning deer there, smaller woods between homes and farms, , deer stay on more reliable patterns, but still do change with the food as things come into there prime
    as crop go thru there stages of being tastier and easier for them to digest

I expect the locations to change throughout the year. Right now I am exploring some new areas that look like they should hold deer. But it will be fun to know if there are deer in the area or not.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Did some hiking yesterday with my daughter and found some areas that need a trail cam hung. .75 mile from the road and big buck rub after big buck rub. The challenge is there are very few trees for a climber. I am going to hunt it once in the late season. But I wonder what is roaming this block of woods.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

cam will be in the mail tomorrow lol
    Didn't have time yesterday

and sounds like a place to try in late season, However I would do some good looking on some aerial sites and and look for funnels leading to food , what and where ever it is this time of yr
    any crops left standing or LAST picked/cuts fields
    that's always something I tried to keep tabs on, in farm area's
    what fields got cut first and then last
    as last cut crops will have the most deer near them this time of yr, as first cut one's will be picked clean by now
    so paying attention to corps even when NOT where you can hunt can help you, as deer from FAR and wide will travel to get to them and return of they prefer there home turf for safety
    a deer can travel many miles in a short time too!

Thanks mrbb. I have a spot a few hundred yards from a green grass field that I hunted in gun season. It is loaded with scrub oaks and surprisingly I saw deer both times I hunted that spot. Its right over the hill from a huge thicket that serves as a bedding area. I plan to try this spot this Wednesday, this time from my climber to see what it looks like from a tree. It may turn into a pretty good spot. Right now I enjoyed the two days of hunting there and two shot opportunities in rifle. One day was opening day which provides unreliable deer movement. I hunted this spot the second day and had a deer come through that I to a shot at in the rain. She was moving on a natural pattern since there wasn't anyone else out there to talk about. Best part about these spots is they are .5 mile or more from the nearest parking area which helps cut down on the people traffic except from the multi purpose trail which is close but doesnt bother the deer.

got the cam in the mail today, so should have it in 2 days

you'll what I mean on its crappy night time pic's
    but decent day time one's
    I'm glad I got it free, as I would hate to spend money on something like this LOL
    and this is what I some times mean when I say cheap cam's have there down side to almost NOT being worth buying,
    as its very frustrating to have 100+ pictures and NOT being able to tell what anything is ?? as we all know deer are much more nocturnal now than ever
    BUT a cheap cam like this will get you started and well, honestly MAKE you want a better cam REAL FAST!

I hope you get lucky in the late season, few folks out there that's for sure, not like yrs back when we had tons of die hards

and this crazy winter, should be a LOT of green fields now, winter wheat fields should be magnets for deer
    same with turnips/rape/brassisia plots

Good luck

I cant wait to get it out. It is going in the back yard for a few days. I will see how many squirrel and bunny pictures I get. Then it will be going out in the woods. I have a feeling this is going to be addicting.

There really isnt that many hunters out in the late season. I drove around the gamelands last Saturday and there were a few cars but I think most were small game hunting. I saw one archer going in at 1:30. I walked a few miles and only saw 3 hunters all close to the vehicles. Where I am hunting is a popular game lands due to its proximity to all of the people. It is not like hunting in the big woods. I hope to see something this year. Last year was terrible due to snow and high winds on the days I could hunt. This year the challenge will be staying dry with all the rain.

cam's have been very addicting to me, loved taking them on out of state trips and NOT checking till I get home LOL
    then seeing IF I should have hunted closer to the cam HAHA!

as for hunters, I am surrounded by hunting club lands, and NO one has been out this late season yet,
    weather has been crappy, warm rain
    and today COLD and rain off and on here, in the 28-31 degree range

on a side note, I heard about 50 different folks of geese flying south today

and MAN that's LATE,
    all fall, I never heard any to be honest, and even made a note about it to a few friends, who all said the same thing
    NO geese this yr flying south??

wonder if this will screw up there return in spring time and then nesting issue's

I know there numbers have been getting OUT of control last few yrs, SO maybe this will help on that some??
    but almost Jan and JUST hearing geese flying south is a first for me, or that I can recall!!
    Crazy weather ha a LOT of things screwed up I guess!

Ok I'm going to be honest fellas, I haven't read this whole thread just skimmed it. But I picked up a Browning trail can I think it is a Recon model, 8-10 mp, night time IR so no flash, almost zero shutter sound, and about any pic and video mode you can think of...got it new on eBay, I think it was from Woodbury outfitters, for $60 plus free shipping. Not having a ton of experience with trail cams when I bought it, I love this cam. Sure its not the best of the best but for $60 its a great buy! If you look at my thread I started on the trail pic page (Think we're off to a good start) most of those pics are taken with this cam, matter of fact I just posted a few more pics yesterday.
    I live life at full draw....

Thanks zach.

Thread Information