Thread: Buying a rifle...

Buying a rifle...

Hey fellas I'm in the market for a rifle. Thinking and almost locked on an AR-15. Anyone know any info on DPMS Panther Rifles? I've seen quite a few of these but don't know anything about quality and what not. Considering one of these due to what you get and pretty good price. I don't need anything real fancy, basically for recreation and some home defense if need be. Any recommendations on any other rifles I should look at? Would like to stay under $700.
    I live life at full draw....

under 700 is getting tricky
    look at S&W's, Bushmaster, and Stag arms

DPMS is a sub division of remington
    there known to be of the lower end of the quality IMO
    NOT saying there bad, but they are NOT as high of quality as many others out there
    accuracy will be MOST likely lesser in a cheaper AR, than a higher one
    TO a point
    even the HIGH end one's DON"T mean there super accurate, just more reliable, with parts proven to take more abuse
    many of the lower end AR's don't have dust covers on them or forward assist

Watch places like Cabela's, Gander MT and like store, they run many sales on better models for under 700
    just seen a whole AR kit, with bushmaster, M4's, a case, a few mags, and a sling for $699.99
    I am a bigger fan of Stag arms too, they make some nice ar\s for the price point
    forearms with a lot of add on possibles, is a VERY hot these days
    to me, there more a pain on your hands than needed LOL
    you have to remember that , you can later add about anything you want to an AR, with some basic skills and tools

LAST stay away from any of the metal cased .223 ammo, like WOLF and the likes, there known to break a lot of firing pins, the lacure on the cases builds up and ends up causing issues ONLY in AR's\
    in AK's and SKS"s they work great
    plus all metal cases are harder on receivers on ejection
    which again some lower end AR's don't have the deflectors blocks on them
    IF you like to build guns, Brownell's just had some super deals on complete Bushmaster lowers, for under 200 bucks, with folding stocks and all, heck of a deal IMO
    I grabbed 4 of them LOL

Smith and Wesson , windam weaponry , dpms, bushmaster, I wouldn't be afraid to buy any of these and you should be able to find one in your price range. Also ruger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay away from stag at the moment because they are in some hot water with the ATF last I heard. From a long term support perspective I would stay away.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I don't know Stag arms makes some GOOD ar's
    and well there isn't much to go wrong with one, that you couldn't replace pretty simply

I have owned and shot a LOT of AR's
    very few have ever had FLAWS that were not from being abused by its owner, meaning few factory issue's

in the several hundred or thousand I sold, I ONLY recall ONE Colt AR that around the break down pin it had a cracked frame
    and believe it or NOT< they wouldn't warranty it??
    they claimed it HAD to have been user caused??
    upened the box from UPS< customer was RIGHT there when delivered and he opened the box still in the plastic bag, he sen the crack, and we called right then and there USPS Guy even waited , for use to ship back??
    and they said NO< NOT our fault??

think it cost like 50 bucks for a new lower receiver??
    but??
    just saying warranty work isn't always there even IF OEM is still in business!

Fair enough. I am sure they will stay in business. I believe the owner is going to sell the company or something like that. It is unfortunate though. Sloppy paperwork got them in trouble. As a lefty I have been thinking about one of there left handed ar's for a long time. Just never pulled the trigger. I probably wont unless they allow semi's for hunting in PA.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information