Thread: Rut

Rut

Talked to the neighbor kid last night and he said that he has hardly seen any rut activity. He hunts just about everyday, and I tend to agree with him. Even though I haven't hunted much, in my travels I can usually detect the times and the intensity. I pretty much have pinned it down to the Oct, 30th to Nov. 4th. Just wondered what you guys thought.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

I agree, I have not personally seen a lot of rut activity this year. Earlier in the season (late Oct) I saw a lil bit. I think we had an early rut here this year. And we would have been fine and had a lot more success during the rut if we hadn't had 60-70° temps throughout the peek window. Those bucks are gonna breed whenever the does let them and unfortunately for us with those warm temps, most of that took place during night time hours when it was cooler. I run trail cams at/behind the house 24/7 and have had quite a few videos of bucks chasing on camera. Matter of fact I checked the one in the woods yesterday and had a video of a small buck digging a trench with his nose in the ground following a doe (this past Monday). As I posted on the trail cam thread earlier, the last week of October I had the big 9 on video chasing does for 5 nights in a row. IMO I still think some of the bucks are still trying but not sure if the does are feeling it.
    I live life at full draw....

I've seen new rubs show up in last week 10 days. Last Sunday had a basket 8 locked down with a doe in a fence row for 2 hours and then on way home had an absolute stud chasing a doe across field and road in front of me. Probably 160 inch 10 point. Been wierd for me too I hunt in Darke county.

Mike

I think the weather this yr wasn\t the best for action, OR NOT in my area
    was warm then wet, and , that never works out well for aggressive rut action IMO.

I did see a few nice bucks dogging does one or two days, but other wise, SLOW action up my way this yr

Second week of November up at my cabin was decent. I was a few bucks dogging does right passed my stand and a couple of bucks out cruising. Which is much more than I have seen in a number of years but overall it was pretty slow. The high winds and rain didnt help much.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information