Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I hunt this place and if so, how?

Should I hunt this place and if so, how?

Neighbors are awesome. Offered to help track and drag a deer if I get one.

The NE part is not pops land, or I would hunt that spot.

A blind or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

I was thinking about getting a bush hog this weekend, making one main trail, then a few others all intersect with the main trail into a little "kill spot" I don't know 30-50 yards around my stand/shooting lanes. How far should I go w these trails?

After that should I lay corn down? This has corn on it, but the stalks are the size of a nickel and ears of corn are the size of your thumb.

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm still quite new to the sport but I am always trying to learn. Hoping that year six is the year I get my first buck down. I have been picky, but you only get to kill your first buck once.

Thanks again fellas!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo, this time of the season, I wouldn't go in and disturb this area and possible scare off the deer who are use to bedding there. I wouldn't worry about corn this time of the season, The last thing on Bucks minds this time of the year is there stomachs, they are wanting to breed.
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

Quote Originally Posted by whodey1966 View Post
    Imo, this time of the season, I wouldn't go in and disturb this area and possible scare off the deer who are use to bedding there. I wouldn't worry about corn this time of the season, The last thing on Bucks minds this time of the year is there stomachs, they are wanting to breed.
    Don't forget that the does still eat, the bucks will be where they are.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Quote Originally Posted by radicalxl View Post
    Don't forget that the does still eat, the bucks will be where they are.
    I realize that rad, I was just saying,IMO, I wouldn't disturb this area and risk scaring off the deer at this time of the year. Hunting is about to get real good!!
    Is there anything better than being in the woods?!

If you have walked this property and you said there are very few trails in and out of this thick stuff, I would wonder if there are many deer using it. If this property has been farmed in the past and there are crops on the surrounding properties these deer would be used to equipment. Brush hogging some trails through it would have little affect on them in the days to follow. I would brush hog a trail from one side to the other as close to my stand location as possible keeping in mind prevailing wind directions and the natural travel patterns of the deer. And while I was brush hogging I'd jump out set up a camera and see what happens. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tried hunting this spot yet...?
    I live life at full draw....

Went out there last weekend, boy has the sign really picked up. Three scrapes 6-8 rubs on a line within 100 yards of each other. I sat once didn't see much till last light but I'll be out again this weekend I think

Sweet, good luck. Did you try to improve anything or just rolling with it?
    I live life at full draw....

Apparently the farmer who planted here (we lease it out) is filing a claim for insurance purposes so if would have cleared it out he said he wouldn't get his claim. Just went with it.

Thread Information