Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!

HELP!!!

Hey there folks,

My name is Dave Tennant, I'm relatively new to bow hunting. Well I've bow hunted for about 15 years but never shot anything. lol... Anyway, I was on public property the other evening and shot a nice buck at about 25 yards. After falling and crawling getting up and coming up about 10 yards or less from me in a panic (the deer) I stuck him again. So 2 arrows in what I think was the lung area and after about 30 hours I tried to track him tonight and jumped him again. I did find fresh blood abut only had about 4-5" of penetration. Both arrows were broken off in him. I just wondered if I should wait another day or what? I'm completely dumb founded by this.

Did ya find him? Ya may have got stuck in some ribs or something. I'd think if ya made a double lung he'd die within an hour but it would take longer on a one lung shot

I would say if you only had 4-5" of penetration and you did get his lungs, you most likely only hit 1 lung. If you haven't gone back out already, back out man. Give him PLENTY of time, the weather is not to bad to let him expire and still be good. I know its tough to let him go but its obviously better than jumping him again and never finding him. Those big boys will run forever if they're hit and are being pushed. Give him time and when you start tracking again, track SLOW! Keep us posted...
    I live life at full draw....

I agree back out and track slow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK do a search here, there were w few guys that had tracking dogs
    that would be MY suggestion, as depending WHERE the hits were, he might be dead but HARD to find if a POOR blood trail

I have seen deer take many hits with arrows and bullets and GO REALLY far and some still kicking today
    you HAVE to hit a vital, to kill a deer, there tuff critters
    SO< MY suggestion would be TRY and see if you can find a tracking dog to help here BEFORE you go and trample down the area looking
    WHY not up your odds best you can!

Good luck and update as you find out??

I went back out last night and jumped him up again! I have no clue what is going on with this deer. I found fresh blood right where I jumped him. It was dark and he didn't run far, I marked him on a GPS where I jumped him last night. The blood is bright and the blood trail is hit and miss. We went about 100 yrds without any blood trace at all.

like I said, a DOG will make recovery a LOT higher odds at this point
    the facts are what they are, NOTHING major is hit, or it WOULD be dead
    BUT that doesn't its injuries from your arrows WON"T kill it

I would again look for a tracking dog
    and then take binoculars with you and KEEP scanning ahead, this works best with a few guys, one's to track and ONE or tow doing NOTHING but scanning a head
    and MAYBE you can get another arrow into a vital and end the game here

DOn't give up, its still possible to find this buck

DON"T Know what part iof OHIO your in but read these links, MAYBE they can help you?

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/thread...+tracking+dogs

http://www.bowhuntingohio.com/search...earchid=847568

Honestly it sounds to me like you may have misjudged your shot(s). Especially being your first bow "kill", no offense, but its easy to get caught up in the moment and think your arrows hit better than they actually do. After rereading your original post, you shot him and he fell, crawled, and got back up? IMO doesn't sound like a lung shot, I'm no pro but if he fell when you hit him the first shot, I dunno. Most of the lung shots I've seen they don't fall more just run off (short or long distances). I've definitely misjudged shots, thinking I made a decent shot but in reality, slowing down and "replaying" it in my head made me second guess myself, hence poor blood trails and not recovering the deer. I'm not saying this is what's going on with this guy but its a possibility, easy to do even after you've taken deer gun and bow. Just another thing to think about. But like I said in my last post, if you did get a couple decent shots, and he does expire at least the weather is working in your favor. Good luck.
    I live life at full draw....

Thanks I really appreciate the advice. Like I said before I never really got into bow hunting seriously, it was something to get me out of the house and keep me busy but yet be relaxed. I've played the second shot over and over in my head but I could have swore I had hit the lung area unless he the way his leg was strectched while running at me had his shoulder blade in the way that it blocked my shot.

Thread Information