Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sightings.....

Unfortunately, I was not. I am going to try and get out on Friday and possibly Saturday evening.

I hit one at 930 but the shot deflected I think. White hair no blood. Found two chunks of fat at 150 and 350 or more yards from the shot. I gave up. I didn't hit her very well. She will probably live and be fine. I was using a rifle. Pretty bummed. Searched for 2.5 hours.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well that sucks Nomad, sounds like a low belly hit to me, and what happens is them guts slide down and plugs the hole,
    some times they make it some times they don't, all depends on how bad the hole is and how far them guts fall down or OUT of it

as they say coyotes have to eat too, no critter ever really goes to waste, mother nature has a clean up crew out 24/7/365 LOL
    lousy weather today and tomorrow, should have most hunters riding the couch at camp LOL

Thanks mrbb. I think it was a low brisket shot myself. Like just behind the front shoulder but low. The chunks of fat remind me of what is on the bottom outer most part of the rib cage brisket area. There was some hide holding a bit of that hair together as well so that is why I am thinking the deer will be ok. We will really never know. She took off running like everything was ok. Only two small chunks of fat. She was a cow of a doe. I did look and found a broken branch about 1/2 to 3/4 the thickness of a pencil broken off about 2' - 2 1/2' feet from where the hair was. My guess is that branch was enough to deflect the rifle round about 6" or more low off target. I would rather have had a complete miss than a poor hit. Its amazing what a mess a little branch can make. Oh well still have 6 more hunting days this rifle season to get back at them. Something is bound to give. It has been along time since I hit one and didn't find it. Still a bad feeling everytime.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

yes any time you hit and loose it SUCKS big time
    but hunt enough and it happens to all, just a lot of variables to over come and the odds sooner or later get you!

weather yesterday and today SUCKED big time
    should be a BUSY Saturday I bet, and I know LOT of guys saved vacation time this yr for second week rather than first, due to the NO doe hunting first week in my area
    upping there odds to get atleast SOMETHING, so not as many guys out first week here it seems

wish this rain would have been snow LOL

Anyone seeing any deer? I've haven't seen a whole lot during daylight hours, here and there, but have been seeing quite a few driving at night. Checked my cameras today and it seems like they are agreeing with me, mostly night time. For whatever reason it seems like the deer around me are pretty much all moving after sunset. I had a fair amount of videos on the cam but every one was during the night, anywhere from 7:30 pm- 4 am. I know the weather has some to do with it but really deer, really? Lol. What are y'all seeing....
    I live life at full draw....

well its NO surprise after gun season for deer to go nocturnal, rather the norm! if you ask me
    and I too haven't seen many day time deer, but have seen a lot at Dark while driving, almost got a couple the past few nights , some close calls
    and I just got a new truck, so?? was glad they made it past me!

Here its been pretty much all season that the deer seem to be moving late/after dark.
    I live life at full draw....

HAHA< I have been posting on this site for a few yrs, that IMO< ALL deer have become WAY more nocturnal over the yrs, and they sem to just BED all day long, and then get active after sun set
    they have adopted WAY more to us hunting them in the past 10 yrs, then the 40+ yrs prior to it
    or they sure have in MOST places I hunt

Thread Information