Thread: I'm looking for a tree stand

Hybrid View

I'm looking for a tree stand

I started shooting traditional bows 3 months ago or so and this year will be my first year bow hunting and I'm on the market for a tree stand any advice on tree stands? Or anyone have any extras up for sale in the Cincinnati area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when buying a tree stand I recommend NEW one, for safety reason's
    as all things age and get weaker and or can be damaged, pending HOW the old owner took care of it

LIKE IF say a LOC on and they dropped it a few times from say 20 ft up, you MIGHT not see the damage, but could have weakened welds??

SO< new is a better way to go

after that you want to decide on what type of stand you want?
    a loc on, climber, or ladder stand
    Laddderstands to me are the safest, as long as quality made that is.
    they offer you the chance to get in and out quiet, can come in all different shapes and sizes, and can be enclosed and some are down right comfortable

Loc On, are to me Bare Basic in a stand, some are for sure more comfortable than others, But never really used one that is as comfortable as a ladder and or climber
    but there also typically the cheapest option on a stand, UNTIL you add in the climbing sticks or steps ? then prices can climb, BUT they can be used in a lot of spots other stands cannot
    a Climber is a nice option
    they allow you to move at will, and can be set up pretty fast, and again some of them are super comfortable,
    just remember all STANDS that use straps and likes, the straps were out and need to be replaced every so often
    MOST folks like to add second straps over the OEM set up for added safety
    the Bands on climbers also have shelf lives, I know my Lone Wolf climber , there only rated for I think 6 yrs and have to replace, or recommend there replaced

I suggest going to a place that carry's a bunch and look and see what you like and go from there!

LOTS of quality stands on the market now
    Good luck!

I bought a nice Big Game hang on stand and Bit Game 20' climbing stick at Rural King. Nothing real special but its plenty of room to stand and hunt out of, for the price you can't beat it. Think I paid like $30 for the stand and $35 for the stick (or vise versa). You can obviously go a lot better and bigger but not sure how much you're looking to spend. Good stand at a good price.
    I live life at full draw....

how much you spend on a stand too, MIGHT come down to HONESTLY asking yourself HOW Much seat time will you be in it
    a SO SO stand after a week of 12 hr sits MIGHT NOT be suck a deal at end of week as it was at beginning of week
    I for yrs logged in about 500+ hrs a yr in treestands
    SO< trust me, if you go hard, there is no price I think at some point I might have paid for a softer seat LOL

I was extreme for sure
    but we all have our hobby's

Depending on the area, I like to use ladder stands when I can. The are affordable and quick and easy to put up. Well unless you get the 2 man monstrosities. Otherwise I use my summit viper climber. It is by far the most comfortable stand I have ever been in. There is a reason I still use it even after 10-12 years.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

The point about how high to hang a tree stand is hotly debated among bow hunters. My belief is that it first and foremost depends on your comfort level with heights and secondly on the terrain and cover you are hunting. If you are uncomfortable with heights you will not feel at ease in a tree stand. Having said that, I have a friend that regularly reaches heights in excess of 20 feet. To understand teh height, my rope to raise my bow to the stand maxes out at 18 feet. We both have success, but I need to hunt just a bit differently to make up for the lower height of my stands; many times just 12 feet off the ground. I simply seek out for those trees and areas that have better cover closer to the ground or those areas where I can use the rising or setting sun in my favor to keep deer from spotting me. My friend, being at much bigger heights doesn’t have that much to worry about- he overcomes some of these obstacles I face by getting higher and higher.
    Love Hunting $ Fishing
    Help you find the best compound bow for the money
    Website hunting: http://hunthacks.com/

Thread Information