Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team 1 Check-in

I'm on the Board! Got a Halloween doe this afternoon. She was dressed up as a mature doe.... but I realized it was just a costume when I approached her. By far, the smallest deer I've shot and feel terrible about it. She was alone and without any comparison she looked like a decent doe. Needless to say she had some serious ground shrinkage. As bad as I feel for taking such a young deer, I know the meat will be consumed. I will try to figure out how to add the picture from my phone.

Congrats Toke. We've all been there and done that. Look at it on the bright side. Those are the tastiest ones.

Congrats toke! Nothing wrong with shooting a lil every now and then, like you said she'll be eatin' and she'll be soooo tender and tasty.
    I live life at full draw....

I shot a little one last year it happens when they are along. I dont worry about it since they are tasty.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thanks Guys... makes feel a little better. I've had backstraps prepared many ways.... but this morning - I have to say I think I had the best straps ever..... FOR BREAKFAST! Two overeasy eggs and straps that were marinated for 24 hours! Forget Steak and Eggs - Straps and eggs are legit!

Congrats! That what happened with me on my doe this year, she came in pretty fast and was solo. Thought she was bigger. I'll be out the next three days, the heats killing me.
    2008-2009 Team Challenge Champs
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

Well the three day hunt didn't produce any luck.
    2008-2009 Team Challenge Champs
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

I'm on day 4 of 6. Only had one opportunity at a small doe. She walked. Wish me luck cause the weather has been nasty rain and high winds
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Nomad - if you have been out there in the winds the last two days, you get my nod for Dedicated Hunter of the year! I would be scared to be up in a stand for fear of the wind blowing my tree over! Good luck on your last day or two!

Toke2 - Yep I hunted the winds and surprisingly saw some deer. I missed one afternoon due to the winds. That day it was a little much for me. Ended up passing on a small doe Monday morning and Saturday morning I had a doe come it but she never gave me a good shot. She took two big steps through my only shooting lane after feeding just shy of it for 10 minutes. I didn't count on that and couldn't get the bow drawn. That is most likely the end of my archery hunting until the late season. Hopefully I get lucky with 6.5 days to hunt of the 12 days of PA rifle season. The weather last week was the worst I have hunted in, in a long long time sustained crappy weather day after day. If it wasn't heavy rain it was heavy winds, and heavy winds with white out conditions were seeing 20 yards was tough. It was a long wet week. We only had 2 dry days out of 6 hunting days. I think better weather would have resulted in better hunting and deer sightings.

Thread Information