Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age and Score?????

Age and Score?????

I have a dilemma here. I think this buck will probably have a gross score in the 140's. My problem is I think he is only 3 1/2 and I believe he can be a real stud if I give him 1 or 2 more years. What do you all think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailcam5.jpeg   trailcam4.jpg  

Here is another pic. I can't get that one pic to work right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailcam1.jpg  

nice buck I agree he looks a little on the young side too
    as for score, a decent guess from me would need a clearer pic's
    its so hard when there at angles for me

but 140 sounds reasonable
    hard to see mass real good from these two pic(the second pic in first reply, doesn't work for me??)
    and IR flash always leaves some details out to me too
    I love my color Cuddybacks white flash
    so much better pictures
    but they do suck up battery's faster, and that flash gives them away?? they can grow legs if NOT bolted good to a tree LOL

Trying the color pic again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailcam6.jpg  

I would agree 140's would be a decent guess, but kind of hard to tell from these pics (and being uploaded to the computer). As far as age, really hard to tell from these pics IMO. Do you have any pics of his whole body? I think its a lot easier to age deer from looking at there body's. But from these I would guess he would definitely be a giant! The other major thing to consider is, will he be able to survive another couple years? Does his home range provide enough "protection" from other hunters and what not? How much pressure does he see/feel? ......
    I live life at full draw....

Here are 2 more pictures of him and I will check the card and see if I have any better body shots of him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tcam1.jpg   tcam2.jpg  

Im in agreement with Zach. If he has pretty safe habitat, in other words if he is on private land and not much road traffic nearby and you think he has good odds of surviving another year or two, it might be a good buck to let grow into a GIANT. He is nice for sure, and I would have a tough time passing on him now. He may or may not add mass. If he did, he would be a STUD. It's gamble for sure. All depends on what you want, what you already have taken, etc... I hunt mostly public land and the big 8 I saw last year all over my cameras has not shown up once this year. So he may have been taken, or just didn't make it through another tough winter. Really disappointed he has not shown up this year. Given that scenario - I might not wait. Go with your gut....

Here is probably the best body shot I have of him which still isn't all that good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trailcam8.jpg  

still tuff pic's to judge, as a lot fo aging IMO is based on a good side view to see the back line and belly at same time
    looking at nose to eye, he looks to ME to be at least a 3 yr old buck

as for if you wish to roll the dice and let him go or not
    the way I see it, is this

IS HE a deer you want to harvest, is the rack, at a size you would normally NOT pass on
    if he doesn't meet what your HOPING for
    then passing to me is a given
    as you will NEVER get the buck size you want IF you settle for less
    and killing him NOW< will make getting one to the size you want a LOT harder, as if lesser bucks are in your area , it will take them LONGER to get to the age/size you want

being a more trophy hunter has a price to pay, some times its eating a tag LOL

BUT it does make it that much sweeter when you get the one you been after!
    think of it this way, he made it this long, one more yr or two, IS possible IF you allow him to try
    KILL him now and there is NO chance at all

standards all all up to the shooter/hunter, and its 100% your call
    do what makes YOU happy, and all is well!

I think mrbb hit it dead on there. I have. Few smaller bucks on the farm I hunt that I want to pass along for a few years and a few decent bucks that I'd like to harvest if I get the chance. The bucks I'm goin after this season aren't huge trophies by a lot of guys standards but they are to me and that's what matters. As long as you feel good about passing or taking a deer is all that matters. We all have different plans and goals for our hunting areas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thread Information