Thread: BEANS OR CORN for day 1

BEANS OR CORN for day 1

Normally I hunt the BEANS for the season opener. But, as a lot of you in central Ohio have noticed, the beans have turned early this year. This has made me ponder hunting the CORN for day 1. What do you guys think. Any thoughts/ideas/obervations are appriceated.

Bowtech Strykezone 350
    Horton Bone Collector 175

I think in this low rain yr, you might be better off hunting near water
    what ever crop is closer to water, would be my pick.

in my area when deer are hitting corn over beans, they LIVE In the corn, ONLY time they come out is for water, and back it they go
    it offers them shade, cover and safety and food
    they will come busting out when they start to combine it!

the other thing is too, if its HOT out, odds are many of the big one's are being active in the cover of darkness, to also stay cooler

SO< water again is the main eason they will be moving in the day light hours, to digest there food they will het water a few times
    SO, if they eat all night, the water trips can be day time hot spots!

I'm gonna have to agree and disagree with mrbb. At least here in clermont co, we have had quite a bit of rain so finding a decent water source shouldn't be a big problem. But as far as the big boys camping out in/very close to the corn, I have to agree. Which one to hunt opening day I'd say 50/50. Last year around the house it was about 80% beans so it wasn't as hard to pick but this year it seems to be about half and half. And it shows, I run cameras 24/7/365 and this year compared to last is crazy slow! I I think a big part of that is that they are holding up in the corn while its here. I am going to try my best to not hunt the woods behind the house but a couple times until November and we have beans in front of the woods and corn in the back so its prolly gonna be tough to catch a good buck moving through until a) the corn is out or b) the weather turns in our favor. The other main property I hunt is mostly beans so I will be hunting around the beans for a lil while.
    Last edited by zachc; 09-18-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    I live life at full draw....

Zachc, I'm In PA< sop, I am sure weather here can be different than where your at
    were VERY low on rain fall totals here, I have seen things dry here I have never seen dry in all my life living here
    so water here is a gold mine I think if its near a GOOD food source this yr!

I know a LOT of places are WAY behind on water amounts this summer too
    out est is scary dry in many places

I was just in my woods last night and the corn is bulldozed and beans are untouched

Depends on wind and what is still standing they have been harvesting around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here in PA mrbb. It is bone dry. A little rain would be a welcome sight.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I agree with Mrbb. The good bucks are in the corn. I will hunt the edges of it when I get out.

I bumped a 130 class buck last Thursday scouting and killed a doe opening morning both along the edge of a corn field. I don't have acorns at the property I hunt, so it looks like I'll be hunting corn fields most of the season!

Bowtech Strykezone 350
    Horton Bone Collector 175

Thread Information