Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting My Grandson Ready For His First Deer Season!!!!!

Getting My Grandson Ready For His First Deer Season!!!!!

Saturday afternoon we freshened up 4 stand sites. It's a good thing we did. One needs a new ratchet and strap and another had a tree fall on it but no damage was done other than me having to cut the tree away. We did a little trimming for some shooting lanes the we got the crossbow and I let him shoot. He has shot a shotgun before but never a crossbow. I was worried I might be losing my arrows. I was definitely surprised. Because of time constraints he was only able to take 4 shots. The worse one was maybe only 2 inches off the bullseye and all 4 shots were from 20 yards. Here are a couple pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_2015-08-01-19-47-44.jpg   Screenshot_2015-08-01-19-46-37.jpg  

Looking good motf. Think I need to get back and prolly do the same thing with 2 stands I have set. Plus start scouting for a new set. Anyways good luck to the both of you this fall!
    I live life at full draw....

looks like you got a shooter there in the family,
    best of luck this season getting him a big one!

Good Shooting there! Hope he has a great first season. I am excited to get my son in the woods this year. He's been out with me once before, but really wants to put some time in this season. Should be fun. Best of luck to you and your Grandson.

The main thing that worries me is his talking. If I can keep him quiet long enough I know I can at least get him on a deer. He has gone with me turkey hunting for 2 years now and he can't seem to shut up out there and he only has one volume, loud. I've really been stressing with him for the last year that deer aren't like turkey and we have to be super quiet and he said he understands so we will find out.

HAHA< take a lot of candy that makes him chew a lot LOL
    that will help slow down the talking!
    hey kids will be kids, main deal I think is make it all fun, till they get hooked
    ground blinds help a lot too, make for a easier way to hide smaller movements and gets them on a chair too
    if you can take him on some dry hunts with a video camera before season, maybe at spots you DON"T plan to et up in, so he gets the idea better
    late evenings make for great sits over food plots and crops

Never thought of that. Sounds like a great idea.

We went out and set the ground blind up today. It is set up on the east end of a large bedding area and a major travel corridor. Here are a few pics of what we did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails groundblind1.jpg   groundblind2.jpg   groundblind3.jpg   groundblind4.jpg   groundblind5.jpg  

We will be able to shoot out of the west and south facing windows. This will be a new experience for me as well cause for the last 20 years all of my deer hunting has been down from a tree stand.

All I can say from experience is 20 yards on the ground feels a lot closer than 20 yards from the stand.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information