Thread: Mineral pits?

Mineral pits?

Anyone ever make a mineral pit for deer? Last year between my spring plot and fall plot (which isn't far, they are pretty close together) I dumped some salt, after that dissolved away I put a trophy rock out and they were hitting it up pretty decent. This year I shopped around for a bit and decided instead of throwing out another trophy rock, I bought a 20lb bag of Whitetail Institute 30-06 mineral. I chopped up about the top 3 inches of soil in the same spot I had the TR last year and poured about 1/4-1/3 of the bag and chopped it into the ground a bit. Let me tell you boys...this stuff is magic! Deer have been tearing it UP! I have freshened it up about 3 more times over the last month and half or so and still have almost 1/4 of the bag left. Prolly never use another mineral again. As soon as I started it they immediately started digging in the soil and Ihave video after video of them actually eating the soil and mineral.

Any else have different minerals they use? Or maybe a mixture they mix themselves?
    I live life at full draw....

I have been trying and using all sorts of different brand minerals, and what I found is what works great in one area, deer in other area's might NOT go near it
    Like trophy rocks, deer here at my place won't go near them< NO idea why, but seen them hammer them in other area's
    I had my best luck in Ohio with Black Magic deer cocaine mineral in the powder form
    I could dump a bag or two out and come back a yr later and have a 6 ftx 6 ft hole 2+ ft deep, and didn;t add anything in a yr and they would still be hitting it>
    impressed me\
    YET on my property, deer won't go near a mineral lick of any brand, they just won't go near them, and I have a LOT of deer here, they just wash away
    20 miles away, they again hammer the same stuff??
    SO< to me, its a trial and error game of what works in your area, and NOT all places do deer crave them< guess if they get enough food /minerals in there diet they don';t bother with it??
    or that's my guess?

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Tried the 30/06 mineral years ago and the deer wouldn't touch it. I'd say the combination of what you had there before, loosening up the soil and adding the new has really brought them in to it. I've had better luck using trace mineral salt and bagged minerals from TSC.

I use black magic this year but haven't checked

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information