Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow

I'm still here, but its super slow here for sure.
    been busy with some storm damage I been cleaning up, and just a normal spring here, odds and ends?l

Nothing new here. I'm just working in the yard and working on getting back in shape. I am donw 16-17lbs in 16 weeks which was about pace I wanted to go at. I have put on lots of muscle all is well here. There is still a ways to go but I start on my next workout dvd program on monday.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150529_233109.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	11020

A lil bit of both here, started working out a lil bit again, just to get back in shape in general and also trying to get things done around the house. Finally ordered and received my new bow!! Whoohoo!! Went with the BowTech Carbon Knight. Definite upgrade from the Diamond that I had since 07-08. I've only had a chance to shoot it about 2-3 times so I'm still trying to fine tune everything but so far...I love it! Should have everything set and ready to go by September. Still have a handfull of arrows but i think i want to buy some new ones. Anyone have suggestions, i want a good arrow but im not trying to spend a bunch. Besides that working and chasin' the little ones around, lol. Oh yeah and I sold my truck to get a full size 4x4 too, still shopping on that one tho. Anyone been seeing deer moving, I know around here they are moving pretty good, especially at night on my way home.
    I live life at full draw....

I check in every once and while. Not much going on. Am looking forward to Sept here in NH. But really looking forward to my week in Nov when I'm going to the best deer hunting I've ever experieced. That would be Ohio ! You sure are lucky if you live there.
    what goes around, comes around. (I sure do hope so)!!

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    I check in every once and while. Not much going on. Am looking forward to Sept here in NH. But really looking forward to my week in Nov when I'm going to the best deer hunting I've ever experieced. That would be Ohio ! You sure are lucky if you live there.

I dont know about that buddy I didn't see a whole lot last year and the ones I did see weren't the best quality deer either

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Its all about perspective.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well I have to disagree, hunters in Oiho have a huge upper hand over a lot of other states
    try killing a big buck in a state that has almost NONE<
    SO, the fact that Ohio has a reputaiton for having big bucks on a regular basis nd has for yrs and yrs, puts it light yrs ahead of most others states
    its been a top 5 state for yrs,. and that MAKES it a better than average ods state to kill a big buck in
    its a lot harder to hunt big bucks in a state that has very few over the amounts in Ohio
    think you had a bad season in Ohio, come to PA, and see if its any better LOL
    you'll be running home fast and being happy your in Ohio LOL

PA's not that bad. I saw piles of button bucks, spikes and fork horns. A few does but not many and not a single legal buck while hunting and I sure did put in the effort this year. It was a great year for me compared to some I wont soon forget from the about during the lowest part of the deer densities in the recent herd reduction effort.

WELL, if your after a 120 class buck, or lets say a 150 class buck, its a totally different set of odds to over come in PA< as to Ohio, that is why Ohio is a top 5 state and PA isn't
    YES , Pa is at its all time best right now for big bucks, but its still yrs behind the level of big bucks Ohio has, and has had for 20+ yrs
    PA< at one time had the highest number of deer YES< and if all your goal is , is to KILL A DEER, it was a top state for that, BUT it was never a big buck state, and is still not one really, YES getting better, but again NOT at the level Ohio is
    I'm not alone here, this is a fact, do any search on top 5 or 10 big buck states and I gather ohio is a lot closer to the top than PA is

PA< have been getting better, BUT its IMO< more due to so many hunters with private lands that are doing QDM, and MOST of all BIG bucks killed in PA< are off private lands(ohio, I gather has a higher rate here too, BUT still more big bucks on public lands than PA)
    The PA game dept, sat on its as from the 50's to the 2000's, expecting the deer to grow on there own, doing very little if any habitat development for wildlife, YES they timbered, BUT they did so, for income, and was just a by product it help SOME wildlife out
    wasn't till late in the game that they started to see how far gone the forest got from too many deer and over browsing and then, was too late to keep numbers up, as the food wasn't there for them, so next extreme was too kill as many as they could to try and save the forests
    then they slowly started doing food plots to help forests
    which IMO was again too little too late, forest are too mature in most places to re generate on there own now, they need more timbering and better forest management, and more controlled burns
    BUT even IF you fix the forest, you don't have the genetic's the deer in Ohio have, or the rate of mature bucks ratios, or the fact deer in ohio, have better access to higher quality foods, due to more ag in Ohio than in PA< where we have more forested lands than crops
    Like it or not, crop lands always have larger deer, and at times bucks, due to they can eat with output, add in they can many times live longer, and you get bigger bucks, and more of them
    YES BIG bucks can grow and live in the big woods, BUT it takes them longer to get the same sized racks, a farm buck can get at a younger age, due to the easier food and more of it
    this is all basic's and fact, NOT just my opinion here feel free to look into it, I ben involved in QDM for a LONG time, and not just a weekend hunter level either!
    SO< Folks/hunters in Ohio, have it GOOD< super long season, and a larger population of larger bucks
    HOW can that NOT be a better combination than hunting in PA< ?? OR about a 25+ other states that have deer?

Well it's been a long while since I posted and just as long since I hunted (3 years). Found a spot close to my road where a big tree blew over, roots, dirt and sod intact well above my head about 30 yards in. It made a great natural blind and is on a heavily traveled trail. This looks like easy access for a busted up sixty year old. No toting, no blind building, just walk in with a chair and I should be good to go. If i can still shoot I may give it a shot this fall. Just have to git one of the son-in-laws to drag it.
    I have strong opinions about God, Guns, Guitars and Harley Davidsons, I can remain open minded about everything else.
    Member of Pope & Young, and Buckeye Big Buck Club.
    Member of the Bloody Blazers, 2011-2012 team challenge winners.

Thread Information