Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost that time again!

Almost that time again!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150331_100958.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	10959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150401_095053.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	10958

Anyone else gonna be out opening day? I'll definitely be in the fields! Had these 14 Jakes and 1 gobbler come across the field Tuesday morning. And Wednesday morning had 4 hens, a Jake, and a gobbler come out and put on a show for us. Later in the morning, 3 more hens and another gobbler. Anyone else having seeing some birds?
    I live life at full draw....

oopening days is a little ways away here in PA
    BUt all winter due to the deep snow and it being on the ground for so many months here, I think populations here will be way down
    all winter , driving the old roads behind my place, about 7500+ acres, wasn\t a single turkey track to be found in the snow
    BUT yesterday I did see two gobbles out in a food plot, NO idea where the heck they were at all winter,??
    BUt I guess there are at least two of them here that made it thur the wiinter LOL

I WOn't be out after them, and think most folks in my area are going to struggle to get one, due to the winter kills
    Might not be a bad thing either, as the population of turkeys here was getting out of control, eatting too many area clean of acorns,
    so this should help on that! maybe some better regeneration now of some tree's and more small game

I will be out in PA in just under a month. I usually dont get a bird but I have lots of fun. It is loads harder to hunt them in the big woods in the mountains but so much fun.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Nomad I fully agree, BIG woods ANYTHING is harder than hunting near farms or rural area's
    the vastness of where they could be is a HUGE part of it, and the fact food can be any where or lack of it, or quality of it!

on a side note, was almost 65 here today spent the full day outside and actually heard my first Gobble of the yr, right behind my house
    which is funny as all winter, say last 3 months, I have been all over behind the house has snow for past 3 + months straight, and never seen a turkey track, snow melted down and BOOB there back LOL
    NO idea where they went, but I covered about 10,000 acres of logging and old dirt roads all winter here and again NO tracks not a one!
    wildlife sure has its wonders!

Something I say every year I'm going to get into more, but I never end up having enough time.
    2008-2009 Team Challenge Champs
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

I read in the recent field and stream about planting winter wheat for a quick spring plot for turkeys...so seeing as we already sprout winter wheat for our chickens and we needed to order another bag, I ordered 2 of course. Went out this morning and planted a small spot in my spring plot where the clover didn't come up very good (my fault, rest of the clover looks real good). So we'll see how that works out. Anyways, from between about 11:30-12:10 this morning had 1 Jake and 7 hens walk through the property! 12 days fellas!!

if you want to plant a CHEAP fast growing food plot for turlkeys, look into Buck wheat, grows like a weed seeds are cheap, and turkys will ove you for it, and flock to your grounds, seeds are cheap too, and it grows in poor soils
    and maybe just as good, it will keep the soil easier to turn over for a fall deer plot too!, just come back in late summer turn plot over, add any needed lime, or fert and add your fall plot seeds, be them rape turnip or>>
    and OH yeah, deer love buck wheat too, so its a great spring plot

winter wheat is typically planed in the fall, just before forst time, by a few weeks, so most folks plant it way in advance to get a good take the following yr!

Like I said only planted a small spot to see what happens. Also when we sprout it for our chickens, we divide it into small containers and in about 6-7 days its already a good 6" tall. Had another 12 hens and 2 big toms with about 8-10" beards in the plots this morning. 45 minutes later across the road was another 10 birds.

Been watching them in the fields going to go out if work and family allow it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried turkey hunting a couple times with no success. Found more guys using the public area for turkey than during deer season. Then I did get a tom located only to watch another hunter try to cut him off. That guy beat me back to the parking area and got out of there fast. He knew what he did. But public land is public land. After yesterdays encounter my interest has been sparked again. Might have to do a little research. That new hoyt nirtum 30 needs some woods time.

Thread Information