Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: America has gone soft!

zachc, I fully agree with you, the punishment will NOT fit the crime they did, and odds are they might NOT even see ANY jail time, beside being held for the court case IF it even gets to court
    SO many things are lower to SPEED things up for workers, that the criminals are the REAL people benefiting

the system we have now is degrading to the oint IMO< its NOT deterring anyone but the honest people from doing crimes
    and these Honest people, are NOT the problem in the USA .
    its a slippery slope, But I think some crimes(like this one), the e should be some way a judge can add extra punishments to certain crimes, based on what the FACTS are

SO many folks want to say punishment fear doesn't stop crime, BUT I still say BULL crap to that
    FEAR is one of IF NOT the strongest emotion we all have, will make you do amazing things, both GOOD and BAD
    it plain out motivates! not nothing else
    except MAYBE MONEY!

SO< when the punishments don't cause enough folks to fear them, they have NO real reason NOT to cross certain lines

humans when left to decide on there own, tend to fail more times than NOT
    Sad but true
    its WHY we have laws!

Don't think I could agree more mrbb! Fear is an amazing thing! I'm not saying that American's should fear the government, local state or higher, but IMO society should know that "hey if I make this stupid choice and I get caught, I'm going to pay severely (one way or another)" well that definitely won't stop all crime but it WILL dramatically slow it down. Especially if the public sees the results of the punishment. Right now I think people think "Oh yeah, they caught the person/people, they're gonna get what they deserve" but again in reality, they get nowhere near what they should! Not going to repeat what I've already said as far as that goes but yeah. Also have to agree, the honest people this would not really affect. Now we all make some dumb choices at one point in our lives but for the most part I think the majority of society outgrows that part of their lives relatively quickly and have no more major problems (on average). But it seems like the ones that stay in that rut and decide to make that a way of life for themselves, that's the problem!
    Sure everyone has heard about the Ohio mother who's killed her 3 sons over the last year? Really lady, really??? 3 innocent children that have never done a thing wrong and you decide that their loves should be ended! What a piece! Another story tonight, multiple teenagers (girls and boys) and a 23 year old, they said man but obviously boy, jumped another teen and was stomping his head and face and then stole some stuff from him. I think they said they had the guy and 4 teens. Well how about those kids and the one "man" get taking to the streets and get their faces kicked for awhile...bet the next group of teens that think about doing it will think twice and prolly not do it. Or maybe the family of the kid who got stomped gets to do it? Just saying. I know its easier said than done but come on America seriously! Is this what we've come to, all these senseless crimes and the individuals who do them aren't really even punished for them.... And when I say that, I'm prolly not talking to anyone on this site cuz normally folks that are into the outdoors and hunting are the good ole Americans that should be running this country...that our young and old men and women are fighting for everyday! And yet another reason to get our children into the outdoors whether it be hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. Sheesh!
    I live life at full draw....

I agree, and I'm NO angel
    there is a gray area in life we all go to from time to time I think, and there there is a line that honest folks don't cross, because they have PRIDE< or fear or, just plain don't want the hassle IF they get caught

the world today is weak, far too many people expect others to stop bad things from happening to them, expect cops and teachers to show folks right and wrong, and its NOT there jobs
    I don't know the details in all the latest cop shootings or claim to
    BUT what I do know, or expect is true, the folks that got shot, odds are they were breaking the lawe to get contacted BY the cops
    don't want to get shot by a cop, DON"T break the law
    rather simple to me??
    doesn't have to be a major things folks
    doesn't have to involve law suits and media coverage and blah blah blah

and that's a HUGE problem, new today is about RATINGS< they want to make small things into world wide cover story's so the tv company's can MAKE money off others suffering!
    its ad, people in grief get hammered by camera's and reporter who NEED to know how they feel
    COME on, some just lost there house, kid, wife, father. and you cannot wait to stick a camera in there face and ASK< HOW do you feel
    what are they stupid?? can't people GUESS how they feel?
    when id suffering become ratings??
    and that's also where the world is slipping, MOST people feed off others hard times
    ever see how traffic slows to a crawl about an accident, people cannot mind there own business, and have to stare and take pictures of others mishaps
    the world would be a MUCH better place if folks would mind there own business more than what they do

want to help a person in need, or a neighbor
    JUST do, it, DON't get the media involved, or be you tubing crap

once I think there was pride in getting ahead doing more, NOW< IMO< it seems folks want to get ahead by others failing, or pointing out how other are NOT doing a GOOD job
    its NO longer about LOOK at HOW good a job I'm doing
    its about look how bad "X" is doing!!, taking the heat off there own ass to do less and look like they did something!

rewards in this word are backwards and getting worse!!

you tube is filled with video's of people doing things, that YRS ago, folks would be SO embarrassed IF anyone knew they did
    NOW< folks cannot wait to show the world what they screwed up or did wrong!!
    what happened to SHAME, or Pride??
    Guess I'm too old for the modern worlds ways :LOL

Just wondering if anyone heard about the corrections officer who was taken hostage Sunday (10/18) at Mansfield Correctional Institution? Yeah I didn't think anyone did! Unless you live around the area you prolly had no clue. I watch the news usually twice a day and I never saw it once.

Long story short, 2 CO's were working in the library full of inmates. 1 of them got pulled out to work in the chapel, leaving the female CO in the library by herself (which honestly isn't that uncommon anymore). An inmate doing a life sentence for multiple charges, including aggravated murder (of 2 females) was classified as a library clerk working in the library, decided that he wanted to take the female CO hostage and lock her and himself in a small closet in the library. Again short version, this standoff lasted for about 10 1/2 hours! Reports ay the CO was not hurt, except some bumps and bruises. They finally blew the door and went in and extracted the inmate after 10 1/2 hours.

So my point to this post is...when an inmate takes a CO hostage for 10 1/2 hours at a prison, the public does not hear about it. But...when a CO or police officer puts hand on an inmate/civilian on the streets, its EVERYWHERE!!! There are videos all over the news and online! When in reality, the CO/police officer is just doing there job and trying to control the situation (in most cases). The public doesn't realize what goes on behind prison walls, inmates are not locked up for being good law abiding citizens who like to follow rules and regulations. Most of them are there because they have no respect for the law and law enforcement officers. So if they are not going to abide by the laws on the streets why would they follow them in prison??? Now I fully understand that there are plenty of situations that excessive/unnecessary force is used and I'm definitely not saying that that is right by any means. But on the same note, there are times when force HAS to be used. Also, when force is used most of the public is all up in arms because law enforcement is abusing their authority and thinking that they can do whatever they want, that poor guy didn't do anything to deserve that. I mean he only broke the law and is actively resisting arrest, you shouldn't use force on him! Yeah right!! But when that guy/girl breaks into your house at 3 I. The morning and points a gun in your face along with your spouse and children, robs you, and heaven forbid does some unspeakable things, how will you feel about that guy then? When your at the park watching your kids play and enjoy some time with their friends, and this random guy walks up and touches them, how will you feel about that guy then? When that same guy tries to lure them into a car so he can drive off with them and you never see them again, how will toy feel about that guy then? Or maybe when you and your family are walking down the street or eating dinner, gunshots ring out, when its over you look over to see your entire family lying in pools of blood lifeless...all because some a**hole was shooting at someone behind you that was his competition drug dealer and you were just in the way, how will you feel about that guy then? These scenarios sound crazy and "oh that would never happen to me" but anymore, sadly to say, it happens everyday throughout America. Most of the public wants inmates to be treated so nicely and fairly but what they don't think about is that guy prolly did at least one of those things and if it wasn't for the police officer who arrested him and the CO that is keeping him behind bars, he would be walking the streets doing the same things over and over. These days a LOT of people are anti-police but I think they fail to realize that if we did not have police officers patrolling the streets, the country would be complete chaos! Also these people are so anti-police but when that guy breaks in your house while your at work or grocery shopping or wherever and robs you blind, who do they turn to and expect to catch that guy...THE POLICE! Again not saying excessive force is right. Just another thing to think about....

I know that was a lot to read and if you don't read it all you should at least read the first 2 paragraphs.

Zachc
    I am a firm believer in that JAIL SHOULD BE a PLACE NO one wants to go, inmates should be treated with a strong hand, put to work and WORK there ass's off while serving time, they should eb PAYING back the punblic for there crimes
    NOT treated like guest in a hotel with 3 meals a day, TV< Movies, getting an education ON the TAX payers dime
    its IMO the FACT repeat inmates DON"T MIND doing time in these jails, that IS part of WHY they keep doing crime
    the fear of JAIL isn't what it once was!
    YES yrs back when jails were meaner to inmates WE STILL had crime

BUT at least they endured more for there punishment, which I am all for!

the fact most jail crimes DON"T make TV, to me is a double edge sword, as I THINK far too many morons are impressionable by what they see on TV, and more likely to do something cause they seen it on TV
    local news crews in my area are like cysts on society, they cannot wait for someone to suffer so they can blab about it on TV
    Like YRS ago when they called some Lawyers Ambulance chasers, as they were just waiting for someone to get hurt, so they could sue to make a profit off someone's bad luck or??
    this practice was one frowned on, and now its glorified??

I fully agree, people want human treatment of people that do wrong UNTIL it happens to them, then all of a sudden, things change and views alter!
    the two biggest motivators in the world are FEAR and MONEY!
    like it or not, its facts

when criminals don't fear getting put in jail they take bigger risks
    and in todays world of EVERYTHING on video and TV
    more morons want to join the ranks of getting head doing wrong!

These inmates live better than I do at times. When my money gets funny I don't get 3 hot meals a day and recreational time. I can't get a free college degree. I'm paying out the butt for student loans bc I ran out of money to complete my degree. They do need to make prison a place you'd rather die than go to. America is definitely soft bc people wanna be politically correct. It's like ole Hank Wiallams Jr said, "the preacher man said it's the ends of time."

I think part of the problem today is lack of pride in one's self
    as if you don't care about Owning anything and want to live off hand outs, you can get a LOT of free things, from grants to health care to housing to food to even MONEY

But the KEY here is you must not have pride to want your OWN things, as to qualify for many things you must have zero property more or less, NO bank accounts no savings
    and MOST HONEST hard working adults WANT to have things they EARNED !
    and as such that makes them NOT qualify for a lot of the things , many system abusers are willing to live without
    and its created a LOT of people that don't have shame no more or pride in being able to say they GOT what they GOT from working for it
    a HUGE shift in the way people view life any more
    way too many want the easy hand out over earning anything any more IMO

Thread Information