Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: site renewal

Quote Originally Posted by YouthHunter View Post
    I been good, just busy working and trying to hunt. I ended up with joining the work force, its going good. I've got a few more opportunities starting to open up. Unfortunately I'm not so young anymore mrbb. I've still been dedicating all my time into hunting and fishing, hoping this year to purchase a property of my own.
    NO one got any younger trhere youth, your still aLOT younger than me LOL
    time to buy land IS NOW< , if you get the chance I will strongly suggest doing so, it will be an investemnt if NOTHING else, and you will come out ahead down the road, and NOTHING beats having your own place to hunt, oir just hang out on!
    GO for it, be glad you did when your even older and its paid for LOL OR can sell and buy bigger or??
    LAND they aion't making any more, , will be well worth the costs in the long run!
    Best of luck to you on getting some

ALso, there Youth, I wish you were closer to me, I will be soon getting rid of a bunch of food plot tool's after loosing my place here, SO once all things are settled legally speaking, I will need to remove and , then sell a bunch tools, and I'd sell to you for a deal too, as would like to help the youinger guys when I can, BUT being so far away,
    I doubt it would be worth your time!
    2 tractors , 2 disc's, a spring harrow, a cultipacker, a two row corn planter, side mower, and sure I am missing something LOL
    will be up for sale soon here

Well that's what I was thinking, I was being young and going to the bar a lot. I finally realized all that money, I have been putting into the bars can pay the monthly mortgage at the very least. Wanted to do that before, I move out and get it paid off to eventually build on. Sorry to hear that, I'm looking for some stuff to pull behind the quad. I've been looking a lot at stuff, possible tractor at some point.
    2008-2009 Team Challenge Champs
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

Youth its good to come to realize that spending money in a bar is a waste at an early age, I sure wish I learned a LOT sooner than I did, I was in my 30's when it sank in,a nd by that pint I wasted a small fortune in bars and on booze and chasing skirts LOL
    which I would love nothing better than to get just HALF of it back again LOL

Nothing wrong with having fuin, but booze IMO< is a rather waste of money, goes in one end out the other, and can lead to troubles, more than good.

its a WHOLE lot better to spend them funds on land , as again, it will be an investment, that you can enjoy NOW<
    and then in 20-30yrs you will have something worth a LOT more than what you paid, land always goes up in value, and at today's rates, MUCH much faster than it did 25 yrs ago!

as for food plot tools to use behind an ATV, depending what the land looks like RIGHT now, a lot depends on what tools will actually work or just be a waste of money too.
    if its rather field like now with say tall grass weedy matter
    the best thing to get first IF doing more than a 1/2 acre, is get a good atv sprayer, say a 25+ gallon one
    and spray that site down a little after green up(plus a sprayer is one of the best ways to comntrol weed take over of your plots later ion, so a sprayer is a great investment for a food plot maker)
    next will be , pending how thick of matter is on top, and how rocky the soil is!
    get a GOOD heavy made for atv disc, they will be about 700+ dollars, NOT cheap but the better one's work the best, cheaper one's you will waste way more time than get things done!
    OR if the ground is rather soft as in spring time and NOT terribly rocky, get a old spring harrow, you will find many of these laying about on older smaller farm, as MOST farmers in the 60-80's had them, they can be had CHEAP< many are sold often for like 50 bucks, they tend to be in 8-10 ft wide sections, that can be seperated into smaller 3 ft winde sections that an ATV can pull and be a great cheap tool to own for atv plot work
    here is an add and a pic, they are adjustable for how deep you want to go and work really well, I have made many plots using the one's I have !
    http://binghamton.americanlisted.com..._21885715.html

Nxet will; be tow behind broadcast spreader for adding fertilizer and PELLITIZED lime, they do NOT work to add pulverized lime at all! for that you will need a drop spreader and they do NOT sell many that work well in larger than 50 lbs at a time amounts, the only company I know of that makes any is this Company
    and yes there NICE, but VERY pricy!
    http://www.groundbusters.com/catalog/lime-spreaders

IF you look about on older farms odds are you will find there old school made one, most are between 8 and 12 ft wide, so pending how tight a place to get into, they MIGHT not work, BUT I have seen many in great shape and even bought one for a 100 bucks that has been owrking and is still working for the past 15+ yrs
    they are the originals, the above company just coppied them and makes them out of stainless steel over just metal!
    BUT if you live in or have time to drive about older farms, you will find one, and the great thing is, farmers today have NO use for them, so most will sell if you ask! and there simple things , if needed to be fixed or repaired, , great tip here on how to save a LOT of oney on this tool!
    OR look into getting lime bulk spread, its cheaper to buy it and they deliver and spread it too, PENDING the size and where it has to be spread, this alone can save you hundreds or more alone
    and its also why older farmers have NO use for there old drop spreaders LOL

next will be
    bad seed broadcaster, a bag is the best way to seed up to about 2 acres, food plot seeds are NOT cheap, and the bag is way more precise than a atv mounter broadcast seeder , I will bet this every time, I owned a few too LOL

next will be a tow behind fertilizer spreader, the one's with the sealeed gear boxes are bst but pricy-er, but make fast work of getting fertilizer down, they come in different sizes, I like the 175+ lb model, best!

and last will be some sort of a mower, this can be a harder one
    IF you know of anyone selling a cheap riding mower, they can work, IF they can be raised high enough, as you don't normally want to mow below say 5 inches!
    or a tow behind atv unit, which are never cheap! but do work, BUT your also running tow motors over one, so fuel costs can get higher!

Hey I have been building food plots since about 1989, I have learned a ton over the yrs, be more than happy to help in any way here I can to help you
    IF you ever buy a tractor, I highly suggest getting a 40+ hp model, and if your in any muddy or hilly grounds, Look for a 4x4 one too, ON a 4x4 model you can get away with slightkly less HP than a 2x4 model
    but 2x4 odels will always be cheaper and less parts to upkeep!

hp is needed to both pull certian things as well as run certian things off the Pto, 40 hp is about good, 50 being better LOL
    but don't really need anything over that a good 50 hp tractor will do about anything a hunter will ever need done!

Good luck and sorry being long here!

I've always appreciated your help. For what I'm doing right now, I don't have a lot of room. Its not going to be huge, it's in a wooded area, with just some ground cover but its not in very much. All big wood, no small trees or anything.I've been looking for an old spring harrow, but having trouble around here for some reason. Plan on going to an auction next weekend. I just planned on doing clover and honey hole mix I've researched. I feel like they will be able to make it. I just want to experiment with it. Also why I want to try and purchase my own piece of property as soon as I can.
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

"He who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes, he who doesn't is a fool forever"

any thing you planty is better than not planting it LOL
    in the woods is very hard, for several reason, once green up, leaves prevent a TON of light to alloow things to grow, then all them leaves both on the ground NOW and come fall, they make a lot of acid to the soil, making a bunch of lime needed to make things grow
    they do hjave some seed blends that will work better in shady spots, but most ate HYPE on a bag LOL all seeds need sunlight tyo grow and strive, just as a good soil with food in it for them
    as for finding a spring harrow, My best advice is drive about farm areas with cash in the pocket, and look for rusty lawn items LOL
    odds are you will find several faster than youi think, and hey, 20-50 bucks in gas will more likely save you money than going to an auction, folks at auctions know deer hunters are suckers for smaller food plot things, look at tractor prices, they more than double in the past 10-12 yrs doe to how popular foot plots and hunters have become
    so, looking on farms will save you money IF you have the time, as we all know time is money in a way!

like I said, IF you were closer, I have 3 of them now two singles for atv's and a big one for behind the tractor, and I know here about 25 opf them are on farms in my area! LOL
    BUT what you would spend in gas to get here you'd loose money! HAHA!

don't forget, many places rent out equipment, and some times thats a better rioute too than buying and storing
    and up keeping
    from a walk behind tiller, or a 4x4 tractor/tiller/front end loader!

in wooded area's I think creating good mineral sites might be a better idea than food plots, as that sunlight gets loweer as the yr goes on and most die out before hunting season LOL
    where a good mineral lick might get action all yr!
    good luck

It's got some openings and get pretty good sun light actually, I just wanted to give it a shot to see. I've been running the mineral and good luck, they just don't have much for food except for natural browse. Surprisingly not much the farmers do in this area.
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

Things to try maybe are IF there are mast crop tree's, start adding some lime and fertilizer to trees near your sets, it will make them make sweeter fruits, nuts and such, making deer want to feed more near your set. Doesn't work the first yr, but second and third yrs it does!
    Rye grass can have some attraction to deer, and will growmaybe best too about trees LOL
    seeds tend to be cheaper too Lolt

Hey everyone!!! Hope all is well. I know I haven't been very consistent on posting since deer season ended. The end of Feb I had my first kid so she has consumed a WHOLE lot of my time lately. It was really nice of her to wait until after deer season to arrive though lol. I definitely love this site. I have learned a ton and gotten great advice since joining this past fall. I am really looking forward to the weather breaking. Last year I bought my house and 10 acres mid-summer and spent the rest of the summer getting the house in shape. I am now looking forward to putting in some time with the property. I have about a 120ft x 60ft pond that I want to spruce up. It has unbelievable bass and bluegill in it now. Wouldn't mind getting a few catfish in there and a small dock built. Then reading all of the talk about food plots on here has me thinking about doing a small acre plot to see what happens. My land is interesting. I have 10 acres but only about an acre of woods so I am looking for all kinds of ways to maximize my opportunities on it. To my west it backups to 75+ acres of woods where deer bed like crazy (which I am going to try my best to get some permission to hunt on this year). North is a 40 acre corn field. East 10 acres of woods. South is 3 houses on 10 acre plots a piece. So I have good cover and food all around me. I have been lucky this season and got two does on that acre of woods I own because I have a feeder set up just outside of my tree line and they pass under my stand from the 75+ acres to go to my feeder to eat. Only issue with it has been one ran back into the 75+ acres that I didn't own and had to go knocking on a door to get permission to retrieve the deer which was awkward. Again, going to definitely try to build relationships with those neighbors so I can at least get permission to retrieve any deer I shoot. Early in the season I had a few giant bucks drinking out of my pond. So my goal is to put that food plot near the pond so they have food and water near each other. My hopes are to draw out a big buck again. I figure doing some things here and there I can maximize my opportunities even with just one acre of woods.

My dilemma I have right now is what to buy to help maintain my property. I was sold on a 4 wheeler but I am now leaning towards a side by side or gator. I like the idea of the bed and more CC to push snow off of my 200 yard driveway. Only down fall is the price of the side by side compared to the 4 wheeler. I am on the lookout for a side by side with some hours on it to cut the cost back. I figure my property is completely flat so the wear and tear should be less then something hilly and having the higher hours might not be bad if I can get it at the right price.

Anyway, as you can see I have a lot on my mind with my land. I am sure I will be on here more in the future to get some advice. My only problem is I have more ideas then money lol.

Congrats on the little one. My buddies having a kid that's due in late September. Asked him if he was nuts to wait until the season starts. My buddy just got a side by side and those things are amazing.
       -Team Backstrap Fever
    Blackbeard        
    Curran        
    Deerhunter        
    Ffkevin        
    YouthHunter

Thread Information