Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Last week of season coming up!!!!!

Well to change the subject, I know it's late... but the last night of the season (for me it was Saturday night) was a doosey! As I walked down the 1/2mile lane along the winter wheat to get to the woods, I watched as the deer waved goodbye (they are always so polite to do that aren't they?) as they ran the other direction. I stopped and thought about going back home... but didn't. I got up in the stand, hung out for about an hour and got so frustrated about how things had gone this year that I decided to cut my losses and go home. I let my bow down and turned around to loosen my harness strap around the tree... and stopped when I saw the whole herd about 70 yards behind me walking towards a soybean field I didn't have permission to shoot over. I quickly pulled my bow back up and sent out some doe bleats... nothing. Then some fawn bleats... hey, that turned some heads!

After about 15 minutes of praying and playing with the deer they turned around and all 20+ of the ran back to where they came from... blast! Within 45 minutes I had let my bow down again and took my harness loop off the tree when I heard footsteps. A young deer was passing about 30 yards behind me... of course there wasn't a clear shot, as I never imagined deer would walk through there and hence no shooting lanes. Then two more came up behind it. Then I heard footprints behind me and two deer were 30yds out on the other side of me!

Well one of the first three went around in front of me, another circled around way back behind me and another came up right next to me... and I learned a valuable lesson! Always have your bow drawn before you bleat at a deer if you are trying to get it to stop... I know now! Yep, that one ran away...

But in the meanwhile, the first deer that came up behind me had walked back into the soybeans... and was VERY curious. So much so that when I scared off the deer by bleating at it, this deer came back to check out what made the noise! It didn't give me the best shot, but I was out of time and in need of meat. Well I'm sad to say I spined it, but I didn't have any tracking to do... we now have an extra 40-50 lbs of meat in the freezer!
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

Good job. Meat in the freezer. Sometimes shots don't always hit exactly where we plan but sometimes we get lucky. No need to beat yourself up about a slightly off shot.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information