Thread: Scrape question?

Hybrid View

Scrape question?

My oldest son just started bow hunting and he asked me a question about scrapes. His question was "does a buck make scrapes on travel routes that does use or the bucks travel routes?" He asked that because he said that if they make them on doe travel routes then no sense of hunting old scrapes late in the season if you are trying to kill a buck.
    Not sure I know the answer. I assumed that bucks make scrapes on routes that the does are traveling.

I've tinkered with mock scrapes in the past hut this is the first year I've actually done a lil research into them. And from the way I'm understanding it is bucks make scrapes where both does and bucks travel. Scrapes are a place where all of the deer in the area can hit so that they know who's traveling through the area. More less like a sign post. Does will also urinate in the scrapes, letting the bucks know when they are ready to breed. I recently just watched a video on YouTube about late season scrapes being a good spot to catch a buck.
    I live life at full draw....

real simple answer here
    a BUCK will make a scrape any where it wants to, no ryme or reason needed
    they can and do make scrapes all yr too, NOT just in the fall too!
    However, they make the most , in the fall !

also, a scarpe can be used by many bucks,a nd NOT just the one that made it
    bucks from other area's traveling thru will use one already made, or make one near it or???
    NO real science on where a buck will make one

field edges are big spots, but most of these are made at night
    near bedding area's logging roads, are prime spots, as with staging area's behind food source's

Thread Information