Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regulations question?????

Regulations question?????

I live in Tuscarawas county and can kill 3 deer. Guernsey county also has a 3 deer limit. If I understand the regulations properly I can legally take 3 deer in each county. Is that right?

I believe as long as the counties are in different zones you are correct. You are permitted to harvest the max limit per zone.
    I live life at full draw....

The way I understand it is we are no longer divided into zones. It is a county by county limit based. The state wide limit is 9. of course there is a one buck only limit. so the way I understand it is as long as you don't go over a certain counties limit you are ok as long as your total is 9 or less. If I am wrong someone correct me please.

Can anyone confirm this? I believe I am right. I have 3 kills in Tuscarawas County and 1 in Guernsey. I want to take 1 more in Guernsey. I'm pretty sure that is legal.

do yourself a favor, JUST call DCNR and ask them, and get 100% correct info
    be hard to explain if you get a mix up here, how you did so, due to a reply on a forum>> when they have a 800 number with folks paid to answer questions like this
    NOT being a smart ass here, just don;t want to see anyone get in trouble, when its that easy to get real answer
    i'm from PA< so don't know ohio's rules that well to say one way or the other, didn't even hunt ohi now for 2+ yrs too, so??
    just my 2 cents here !
    good luck

It is 9 deer total. Not to exceed any county limit, and only 1 antlered total.
    Using Tapatalk

That is a lot of deer. Heck getting two doe tags per wmu area in pa is tough. Sometimes getting one doe tag is tough. I am glad pa doesn't has as liberal bag limits on deer. We wouldn't have any left on public land.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Nomand, up till not so long ago, and well even till today, in the special regs area of PA, tags are after the second draw, all you can buy??
    so in some places you can kill a LOT of doe here in PA LOL

doe tags and amounts are , supposed to be based on what the habitat can support, NOW the problem I always see is that management area's just are always too big, and many times area's with super high deer numbers, are NOT where hunters are killed deer in these area's all the time, due to lack of access and or safety reasons?
    I know from my experience, my old farm had excess deer, but go 3 miles in any direction of me, and deer were hard to find, even tracks ??

so, that is to me where the real problems come from on excess tags, all in the wrong area's at times??

As you guys have stated, my understanding is that bag limits are county specific and not to the zone. The state max bag limit is 9 with only one buck permitted statewide. Since this change a couple years ago i have tagged deer with this application and never heard a word. On the other hand, I have a friend from Dayton i was speaking with a couple weeks ago and he told me "make sure you dont use an antlerless permit in Hocking county." I obviously knew this since its the area i hunt, but he did so during gun season and said it wasnt a week later before he had a game warden knocking on his home door 140 miles away asking him what the hell he was thinking. They have no doubt made it to where you better check the regs every year because crap changes constantly anymore

yes, here in PA we used to be by county, then they decided zones would be better, I still disagree, but??
    less paperwork for them, so?? all about that mighty budget I guess
    and YES< a BIG yes, every single yr, it pays to read your rule book
    here in PA they TEND to put new changes in the front, BUT NOT ALL,
    they change things all the time, small things, mostly, but they do change
    here we have to apply for doe tags , in drawings, seems like the past 10 yrs , everry yr they change the dates, and missing the dates could mean NO doe tag for you here, as they sell out 90% of the time on the first draw n most area's

BUT even as county doe tags, a county is a BIG area
    and its very hard to control numbers in area that are BIG, don't care what anyone says
    if a few land owners have say 5,000 acres, even that is asmall
    but them 5,000 acres can be ocver run with deer and the lands around it can be baron of deer, due to poor food/cover and what ever??

so, doe numbers can be crazy high to low in a few miles
    I personally wish game depts would work closer with land owners on deer numbers and tags allowed
    WITHOUT forcing land owners to have to open there lands up to the public, to get help
    or that';s how it is here in PA
    only way to get extra doe tags , is by letting the public access you Private lands??
    crazy
    seems more about money, than caring about a balance of deer and habitat!
    whch is what the game depts goals should be
    I am sure many l;and owners would even be willing to pay for a over view of there lands to get tags!
    so its NOT just killing numbers based on the land owners idea's, but more on facts of what land can support
    BUT I doubt that will ever happen
    hunting is NOT a big public supported sport, even with it being a HUGE money maker for the states that have deer hunting
    PA used to be a billion dollar a yr deer hunting economic boost, and still??

Thread Information