yes, here in PA we used to be by county, then they decided zones would be better, I still disagree, but??
less paperwork for them, so?? all about that mighty budget I guess
and YES< a BIG yes, every single yr, it pays to read your rule book
here in PA they TEND to put new changes in the front, BUT NOT ALL,
they change things all the time, small things, mostly, but they do change
here we have to apply for doe tags , in drawings, seems like the past 10 yrs , everry yr they change the dates, and missing the dates could mean NO doe tag for you here, as they sell out 90% of the time on the first draw n most area's

BUT even as county doe tags, a county is a BIG area
and its very hard to control numbers in area that are BIG, don't care what anyone says
if a few land owners have say 5,000 acres, even that is asmall
but them 5,000 acres can be ocver run with deer and the lands around it can be baron of deer, due to poor food/cover and what ever??

so, doe numbers can be crazy high to low in a few miles
I personally wish game depts would work closer with land owners on deer numbers and tags allowed
WITHOUT forcing land owners to have to open there lands up to the public, to get help
or that';s how it is here in PA
only way to get extra doe tags , is by letting the public access you Private lands??
crazy
seems more about money, than caring about a balance of deer and habitat!
whch is what the game depts goals should be
I am sure many l;and owners would even be willing to pay for a over view of there lands to get tags!
so its NOT just killing numbers based on the land owners idea's, but more on facts of what land can support
BUT I doubt that will ever happen
hunting is NOT a big public supported sport, even with it being a HUGE money maker for the states that have deer hunting
PA used to be a billion dollar a yr deer hunting economic boost, and still??