Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Back in the stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

late season hunting is all about food, hunt near it or over it, in evenings and your in the game every sit!
    they HAVE to eat to stay warm this time of yr and well, colder it gets the more so!

Lots of fields by where I am going. I am close to a green field but not hunting over it. If nothing happens then I will be going to another field on this game lands.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

NOMAD!
    I would try to find a game lands food plot of rape or turnips
    lots of game lands plant this these days, as rape seed is cheap LOL
    but it holds well into winter , up and abve the snow, and right now deer should be a hammering it!
    winter wheat now is a good too, as long as snow is deep
    and we all know, corn rules
    to find standing corn on PA game lands, you want to look for game lands hwere they release pheasant's
    over the past few yrs almost every place they let pen raised birds out, they have planted dwarf corn
    corn only gets about 3+ ft tall, but makes an ear or two, and that right now should be pulling deer hard!
    I know where a lot of it is about me, but your not very close to me , or I would suggest a few places if you wanted!!
    but the game commision does list all its pheasant stocking area's
    so, you should be able to find one near you with standing corn!

Thats is where I am at. They stock pheasants and there is a small patch of dwarf corn in the field below me. I am hunting between what I believe is a bedding area and the food. they have 3 fields one is green, one is small patch of corn, the other is green. I am giving those a try tonight. Tomorrow I will see what is in the other field. The big fields by the parking area they picked the corn so they wont have as much of a draw. I am still learning this area so It is guess and check for me everytime I go out. I plan on taking the long walk in today to walk by a different field and see if they have any crops still standing.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well snow on the ground should maybe help show what ones are being hit hardest too.
    Hell this time of yr, a mid day walk in to bust deer out of bedding, might get them into food sooner in evening too?
    and also show you where there bedding.
    cannot hurt much I think,, almost over here in Pa. And walking is warmer than sitting, 11 degree's here right now, so feel for you , good luck

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Congratulations!! Glad to see you have recovered enough to get back after them!!

Well I didn't see anything today. I went in early around 1230. I went to the other field and it was picked corn as well. Did see two sets of tracks in the field so I set up. We had really high winds today so a few 20+ sustained gusts had me out of the tree in a hurry for safety reasons.

I walked a pretty big loop and didnt see any tracks. I checked all of the fields and they had no sign in the snow Thats been around since Tuesday. I went to a different parking area and went for a walk and found a gut pile and several sets of tracks. The area needs more exploring.

My wife got sick today so I won't be hunting tomorrow so today rounded out a pretty good Pa deer season for me. I will be doing some small game hunting this month along with off season scouting to learn more about the area

. I will be doing some small game hunting this month along with off season scouting to learn more about the area[/QUOTE]

well you had a decent season in PA, no buck, but had some good hunts with doe kills and well, good to learn more about your area's and its options,

as for small game, well had a grouse here the past efw days, get them of and on all yr, but man there numbers are low the past 10 yrs, I rememeber when getting your limit here was a short walk and under an hr to limit out, without a dog, and missing about a dozen before you got your limt LOL
    just like woodcock, man been yrs since I even seen one here?? a shame. wild pheasants, HAHA< man, back in the 80's and early 90's, had tons of them, then they all got kiled off, and never been any really since but them dumb pen raised one's they let out to be eatin by cats and hit by cars LOL
    my dog used to catch them and bring them to me live, so I stopped hunting them in PA, too.

best of luck to you Nomad, always next yrs for that big buck, sooner or later you'll get him!

here is a pic of the grouse here!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg  

I had a great season. Two deer in the freezer and some good hunts. I did not see a legal buck this year but I saw plenty of sublegal bucks. Bucks are few and far between for me. I am usually 30 yards out of position. But I have gotten better at getting closer. But on public land mostly hunting in the big woods, some times you see the bucks some times you don't.

Thread Information