Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back in the stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be out in the stand this evening in the snow and cold. I love hunting in the snow.

Snow is hitting my area today as well. I will be in the stand as long as I can stand it. It is currently 18 degrees with a real feel of 12 degrees. I dont know how long I can hang but I have all day so I am goin in this morning and seeing what happens.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

well snowing here too and was just 8 degree's when I got up,
    IF it was me , I would be hunting the first 2 hrs of sun, and then back out at about 10am and sit till about 1, then come in get warm and back out for the last two hrs
    these cold temps seem to make deer move mid day
    I would also be trying to hunt near some pine tree's
    a thick patch of pines will hold heat better for them as well

tomorrow and thursday will be even colder here
    so? Good luck to you, hang in there, deer are still out there!

I put a young doe down this evening. She ran about 30 yards and went down. The rage extreme put a huge hole in her.

Here are a few pics. Not very good cause it was almost dark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blood trail.jpg   doe 2015.jpg   doe2 2015.jpg  

Congrats ManOfTheFall!! Sitting out in that cold you deserve a deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
    Congrats ManOfTheFall!! Sitting out in that cold you deserve a deer.
    Wish someone would have sent one my way on tuesday morning. My weather was snow and wind chill temps around 4-6 degrees. I didnt see a thing. I made it from before sun up until 11:30. I am going to try again friday and Saturday afternoon. After that the PA season is over and I am done done done with this cold.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Not that its that much warmer in the evening, but the only hunting I do in the late season is in the evening. From my observations over the years I have learned movement is way better in the evening, and it's evening hunts only for me in the late season.

I am going after one more deer but I may wait until this cold snap is over.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTheFall View Post
    Not that its that much warmer in the evening, but the only hunting I do in the late season is in the evening. From my observations over the years I have learned movement is way better in the evening, and it's evening hunts only for me in the late season.

I agree I haven't had much luck in the evening at all until this year when I had a spot where I fairly consistently saw deer within 100 yards of the stand and several were within shooting range. I did get both of my deer this year before 11. But late season changes everything. I hadn't been out since December 12th so I was a little excited on Tuesday to get out there and see what was going on. I will be going to the same spot tomorrow but most definitely in the afternoon. If nothing is happening there I will go in blind on Saturday and try to find some sign to setup over. That doesn't sound like much fun doing scouting with all my hunting stuff and climber on my back but it beats trying going to a spot that hasn't produced deer sightings since firearms season.

Thread Information