Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Clothing

Thanks guys for the info, I'll start peeking around on the web more this week. Let me know if any more thoughts pop to mind about the topic, thanks again.

One thing I love is the hand warms...they go on sale soon.....love them

The matching toe warmers are the ticket as well
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I have the Cabela's "Stand Hunter" bibs and they are heavy... they are also warm! That said, I typically wear some wool thermal bottoms under expedition weight capaline thermal bottoms under some polar tech fleece pants under my bibs. On the top I wear Under armor cold gear with a smartwool quarter zip with a heavy wool sweater and a cotton camo shirt. When I get to my stand I put on my coat and my bibs. I wear some wool socks and have some nice Shnees packboots as well. I typically wear a double layer face mask my wife made me with a ball cap and a carhart beanie as well... and often times the hood to my coat when the wind blows. I also have some light gloves, but I only take my hands out of my pockets when I'm shooting.

Now the problem with cold feet is that when you feet are cold, you are cold...

Now I am 6'1" and weight about 175... I'm not a skinny bean pole, but I do suffer from low body fat... and by suffer I mean it doesn't seem to matter what I wear, MY FEET ALWAYS GET COLD! Heat packs don't work in those boots. Antipersperant doesn't stop my feet from sweating. I've changed my socks in my stand... no go. I can loosen the laces, they still get cold. I've been tempted to try some of those battery powered insoles with the remote control, but can't bring myself to drop $100 for some insoles.

I've heard of little booties you can put over your boots when you get to your stand, but have yet to try anything out...

So yea... I'm still in the boat - what can be done to stay warm? (Aside from packing on the lbs please)
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

well cold feet, what I found works best, is som eof what you have tried but a little more
    on super cold days on stand, when walking in, I get to my stand and remove boots, remove socks, with socks I carry in wrapped about my body to keep them warm-ish
    I carry in things called "Boot Blankets" there BIG insulated boot covers, , PENDING What type of stand I am in, I will either add two heat packs to each boot blanket, and then leave boots OFF, and keep my feet in just the boot blankets with the heat packs, I like a BIG 24 hr heat packs best
    NOW these boot blankets are NOT waterproof, so if your standing in mud or wet snow?? , then the boots go back on first AFTER they aired out some, as if your feet sweated on teh way in, odds are the inside of your boots are moist, and as you sit that moisture turns toes COLD!

But the boot blankets do help a bunch on fridged days, sub below zero days for me, and most times when its that cold out, the ground is frozen, so, no real MUD issue's to worry about, and can just wear good wool socks and heat packs in the boot blankets and sit all day!

as for heat pack's
    I also found that duct taping one to each kidney on my lower back helps keep me a LOT warmer on very cold days, all the more so helps keep the back happy from being as sore, as if I place them right, when I sit in my stands and lean back against the tree they put pressure on the heat packs to warm me and keep muscles in the back happier!
    so, that works great

as for heated boots soles, and or just heated boots, I've tried a few many yrs back, and they all sucked?? just not enough heat to do much and battery's did fast, same with hand warmers they sold yrs ago!
    even tried the old opne's that had like charcoal you light on fire, placed inside them and they would burd for 8+ hrs in a hand sized box??
    had them open on there own and burn thru good hunting clothes LOL
    then stopped using them , they did make heat, but they also gave off a crappy smell, I am sure deer could smell, and again, not so safe I think, to have a fire in your pocket, as when that case opened in my pocket, it burned a hole from insude bibs pocket to and thru pants and base layer and into my leg before I noticed LOL
    riuned a bunch of stuff trying to keep hands warm !!
    Now have better ways
    HAND Muffs and heat packs work great for hand, also work like a sling to help hold a bow at the ready and hands warm as well!

here are two types of boot blankets, I have the ICE breaker one's, there a LOT bulkier then the arctic shield one's
    I have a few items from Arctic Shield, and that reflective liner in there gear does seem to work as they say,( I have there parka/heavy jacket, and its warm as crap, but it has too short a sleeve for my liking, only flaw I have with it, wear it a lot of the atv in winter time, wind proof and warm in cold weather!)

if I was to buy all over I think I would buy there boot blankets be less to cary in and ?? might keep heat in better too!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Icebr...ots/748998.uts

http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-Arctic-Sh.../dp/B005IAY98G

http://www.walmart.com/ip/22029474?w...tRedirect=true

Quote Originally Posted by nomad_archer View Post
    The matching toe warmers are the ticket as well
    Also get the back wraps in medicine area! They are same thing as hand warmers they are air activated. Put one on over your kidneys on top of your base layer and you would be surprised the difference it makes!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Thermacare...-3ct/19400252e

Mike
    Last edited by MJH; 12-11-2014 at 04:00 PM.

I have thought about trying those. I might next time I hunt when it is extremely cold.

I have hunted with wind chills around 10-15 degrees this year and never got really cold with my regular layering system.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Genesis, since i started this post i purchased the Thermacell remote activated insoles; the more expensive ones with the drop in batteries. The price sucks and so far im up in the air about how effective they are. I for sure think they improve my foot comfort but the batteries dont seem to last as well as advertised; they claim 5 hours on low heat which is 100 degrees and less on high which is 110. I think ive only been getting about 3 hours out of them. Like you, once my feet are cold because of moisture they FREEZE! I do have the thin Artic Shield covers and they seem to work well, but the key is to get them on while your feet are still warm even if you are sweating, and when really cold ill toss a foot warmer towards the toes between the exterior boot and cover. Hasnt been cold enough yet to try them both together but once the temps drop into the low teens ill let everyone know how they work.

I do have the thin Artic Shield covers and they seem to work well, but the key is to get them on while your feet are still warm even if you are sweating, and when really cold ill toss a foot warmer towards the toes between the exterior boot and cover. Hasnt been cold enough yet to try them both together but once the temps drop into the low teens ill let everyone know how they work.[/QUOTE]

OK< I'm no expert, BUT I don't think adding a heat pack to the boot blankets with your boots on does anything LOL
    as your boots insulate both ways, any small amount of heat the pack gives off, won't get into the boots.
    and that's why when I use them I remove my boots lol

the atric shield blankets IF like the jacket I own, works by reflecting body heat back at you, this they SHOULD Work better with boots off, rather than on IMO
    I know the boot blankets I have , work like a sleeping bag, and thats hopw they keep my feet very warm in super cold weather, boots off, heat pack in and snuggle up in them with DRY warm wool socks!

and YES battery operated things NEVER seem to work or last as long as they say, I always think the cold itself, causes less battery life
    and I guess there maybe best to be use just a little at a time, , like turn on to get warm, and then off, and repeat as needed.
    if you just turn em on and leave em on, they will go dead FASTER and odds are not be there for last hr of the day when you maybe need them most LOL

Thread Information