Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Clothing

Hybrid View

Cold Weather Clothing

I'm looking into buying some new gear for extreme cold weather. I hunt all year up until the last day of the season and need any suggestions on what you guys find works for you if your in the same boat. Ive been researching both Cabelas and BassPro but most products have mixed reviews of how effective they are. I have the base and mid layers worked out over the years but need suggestions on new exterior pants, bibs or coats to deal with the late season brutal temps and weather. Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thanks

Cabelas makes the best. Try the Merino Under wear and you'll be happy. I like wool for late season too
    What business have I in the woods, if I am thinking of something other than the woods?- Henry David Thoreau

I like wool too but but more so when it's 30 degrees and wet or in Alaska when I need gear that I can wear for a week. I don't think it's as good as Cabelas Dry-Plus, silent hide, thinsulate when the thermometer really drops though. Particularly when it's windy.

I have the cabelas ecwcs polar weight long under wear and I really like them. I layer like a maniac and sometimes have 3 layers of long underwear then mid weight and outer layers. I was warm last year with 10 degree temps and colder wind chill. One thing I want to do is get gear with wind stop to keep the cold wind from cutting through me.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

About 5-6 years ago I bought some Bass Pro Redhead CWS pants and parka. I love them. They have lasted that long and are still in great shape. I also usually hunt until the last days of the season, not always by choice but gotta try to fill the freezer, and they have kept me warm in the late season. Don't know how they compare to Cabelas but would definitely recommend looking in to.
    I live life at full draw....

Cableas has some great options the mt050 is awesome but expensive I recently bought the extreme berber suit and working out great.if iI was to buy anything cabelas the windshear material would be in It for late season its amazing the difference

well this is a subject I have a ton of money and time invested in, maybe a LOT more than the average hunter, as I know I spent 3+ months a yr for close to 25+ yrs hunting all over, so I logged a lot of hrs in the woods in cold weather over the yrs, and tried my best to find the best gear , and have bought a LOT of gear over the yrs LOL

I have over the yrs tried all sorts of name brands and company's cold weather gear, spent thousands on it! and not kidding on that!

I will say this, Cabala's gear is good, I have there MTo50 stuff, (jacket, bib's and coveralls, I like there coveralls the best if I had to pick one, and IF they fit you well, mine fit very comfortable, easy on and off, easy to pack in/out, and I personally feel the one piece is the warmest set up going) and its OK gear!
    its also fairly waterproof, I say almost, I have yet to find dual purpose outerwear that stays waterproof after being in the rain for a day or more, it all seems to bleed thru, as to good rain gear , rather but non waterproof gear and pack GOOD rain gear as a outer layer over it! this was always true hunting in Alaska , where it seemed to rain more often than other places I hunted!

BUT that is also why its NOT the best cold weather gear
    I personally find all Waterproof/so called waterproof gear is NOT the best once temps gets VERY COLD, due to all the waterproof membrane's used today, get stiff when temps drop to minus temps
    and that makes the noisy
    something I hate in my clothing for hunting

Next I have cabela's stand hunter gear, its a wool like heavy weight gear, its WARM< its Bulky, and its HEAVY
    BUT if you pack it in and put on once on stand, it will keep you pretty darn warm, or as close to anything out there,

Next and by far the warmest gear I have yet to try will be stuff made by a company called
    Raven Wear ( http://www.ravenwear.ca/0 )
    This stuff IS not CHEAP, but its the warmest gear I own, I have there jacket, vest and bib's, almost grand right there in gear!
    BUT what I like about it is is quiet, soft and warm< I have the wind proof liner in mine as well,and a reversable jacket.
    I took my Cabela's Mto50 and this to Alberta and had +20 and lower temps for my week hunt, after day one in the cabeal's, I never wore it the rest of the week there, got stiff due again to the waterproof liner, and was NO where near as warm either!
    Raven Wear is basically very thick fleece, with a berber lining(if added) or a wind proof liner) its almost a 1/2 inch thich , and thus its super soft and quiet and well, comfortable, mine gear is almost 10+ yrs old now, and its as good as the day I got it, as all its ever seen was the inside of my pack to a stand, put on there and taken off to be packed out!, so like all gear IF you take careof it, it will last yrs
    ALSO< its NOT waterproof per say, but has some coating on the outerlayer added to the fleece, that water kinda runs off it, beeds up like a wax coating on a car's paint
    been in the rain and snow many times with mne, and never had water get to me, NOT down pours, but sleet snow and rain mix's, and stayed dry on 12 hr sits(warm too)
    BUT it also dry's very fast too, a big plus in my book on some pack hunts where no dryer is about , but the wind LOL

I also personally meet the owners of this company(after I already bought my gear LOL
    I actually hunted with the owners Husband,(his wife runs the business)
    so, IF I had to pick a Cold weather outfit, for JUST cold weather hunting, Raven wear will get my vote by a long shot!, IF the price doesn't scare you!

second I guess will be the Cabela's Stand Hunter Extreme gear, its also very warm
    but again, its kinda on the heavy side, but that also, is why its warm!
    I would suggest Strongly, trying on gear as you plan to hunt, to make sure you can shoot a BOW with it, as cold weather gear gets bulky, and that can lead to in the way when drawing or???

Good luck
    Last edited by mrbb; 12-05-2014 at 10:15 AM.

also, I have NOT tried a heater body suit or the likes(others make like items)
    BUT they might be a great idea, as I personally feel there concept is the right idea, to keep all things under cover, like a blanket in bed
    BUT , I do think every time you open it for?? you will loose heat ttrapped inside, and could get cold??
    I never tried one, as I already own way too much gear
    but I wouldn't suprised if that is a better way to go, than buying bigger havier bulkier outerwear, for most guys?
    as NOT bashing you, but Ohio, doesn't really get that Cold, as to a lot of places I have hunted
    But everyone handles/is effected by cold differently
    for me, 30's and 20's I can sit all day in my regular gear LOL
    its when it drops well below the zero mark and the winds fly I need the better stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    , but Ohio, doesn't really get that Cold, as to a lot of places I have hunted
    Hear yah, I only wear my cold weather gear in OH every few years but when it's in the single digits I am glad I have the stuff!

I agree, better to have and not need, than need and not have!

Thread Information