Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Firearms season

Michigan dnr had a quote last year that the average age of the gun hunters here was upper 50's...NA you afe right its sad....all the rain in ohio last week saved a ton of deer.....the gun harvest #'s will be interesting..

Well I do think there are more young hunters, just most are bow hunters?
    I think more folks are bow hunting these days than gun hunting, or should I say more folks that make an honest effort to kill a deer are. They like the warmer temps, the less pressured deer, which to be honest are easier to kill for this reason, come rifle season, most places, deer get smart FAST, and ten to hide all day, and totally changes mostpatterns, making killing a buck in rifle season more luck, than skill IMO.
    Even with the added distance a rifle offers, bow season is honestky the best chance these days at a buck IMO

Well I am back at home now. Monday was a long sit. I saw a doe and a spike. There again was very little shooting and the majority of the guys in the woods were from our camp or the one next door. Everyone saw a deer or two but no one got any shooting. My dad and I had shooting if we still had doe tags but we filled those in archery. One of our guys jumped a very good buck so I hope he makes it until next year. But for now the cabin is winterized and I will not see it again until spring turkey.

I am not done hunting yet. I will be hunting locally this Friday morning and see if I cant get something to happen sitting on the ground again out on the game lands. You never know if you arent in the woods. I may hunt after Christmas but I am unsure.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well its been very quiet here, seems like most guys gave up;
    Up my hunting camp, yesterday, one guy got a nice 8 pointer, nothing big, maybe a 100 inches or so off game lands, one other guy is up till Sunday, but out of about 28 guys in all, just one deer?
    most are older guys that spent very little if any time in the woods, just hang out at camp these days. But , was a slow season rest
    Good luck on Friday, should be a good day, calling for decent weather, which should mean lots of guys out moving deer maybe??

It's the end of the road for most rifle hunters. Poor weather has most convinced to stay home. I will be out tomorrow on public land. I am pretty sure I will be alone but you never know what is going to happen. I plan on taking my stool and moving and sitting in one place for an hour or two at a time. That way I get to explore some new ground and post a bit as well.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

instead of taking your stool
    have you ever thought about just taking the seat portion of your climber?? I find that make s a great quick and easy and comfy seat when walking and posting
    the cable that goes around the tree, works as a great sling too, making carrying it easy too, to me , it beats a stool any day, and again, its easy to carry and rather light too???
    gets you mroe use of your tree stand as well
    and it keeps you up off the ground and more at eye leve with deer??/

well I hear you, BUt I personally found the seat climber, does make things a lot easier when the ground is wet ot??
    and its rather light, as light or lighter than any folding chair or stool, and it keeps be higher off the ground and more comfortable too
    and it carry's very easy, almost like a sling?
    so, it was just a tip I found works a lot better than stools and chairs, maybe I'm gettiong old and need a softer seat than a rock these days too LOL

But have used many big bolders as treestands over the yrs, same can be said with cliffs too, they are natures tree stands some times LOL
    and FREE and no carrying at all!!

Well Im probably done till muzzy. It will be my first in OH in awhile that I still have my buck tag. Hope the weather cooperates.

I am not waiting for the after Christmas archery to come back in here in PA. I will be getting out at least two days. I am working on my wife to try to get another two days out in the woods. But we will see.

Thread Information