Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firearms season

Quote Originally Posted by trperk View Post
    Nice view! Better than my lonely office in Forest Park!
    Two years ago I worked off waycross... not too bad if you were able to get in on the hunting in Winton Woods! (I missed out on that, but heard good things)

Zach, you have some fine looking steaks in that picture!
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    I think you mean half hr past sun rise, not sun set? half hr after sun set is most states legak cut off time per day?
    not the starting time, unless your a poacher LOL
    OR maybe coyote hunting, but most states close fater sun set hunting during deer rifle season, to prevent poaching/cover up

No they actually changed the regs. Its a 1/2 an hour before and a 1/2 an hour after now.

Mike

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141202_140710.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	10851

Thanks guys! Well this morning went very similar to yesterday. I went back to the same property, set up at the same tree, and at 7:40 this girl met Mr Mossberg!
    I live life at full draw....

Congrats again zach. You have been busy. If you are cutting them up yourself, you didn't even have enough time to let the grinder cool off.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thanks again, busy is exactly right! Between the drive, killing, and cutting all by myself...killing was the easy part, lol. Out now driving some public land so we'll see what happens.

HAHA< I always said the fun part of hunting starts to go down hill hafer the kill, from, gutting it, to dragging it out to cutting it up, and then or the taxidermist bills LOL
    the fun can go south faster some days than others LOL

Mrbb like my Monday went something like this....wow it is a legal deer. Gun up deer stopped.... Bang. Deer jumped twice and was down. Excitement soon turns to the realization that it is close to 60 degrees and I have a lot of work on the ground. Gutting is a 10 minute or less ordeal from start to clean up. The trick was at that temp how fast could I get the meat in the fridge. Took me 3 hours from shot until quartered and in the fridge. Finally got it wrapped and in the freezer tonight. The grinder I bought 2 years ago after the season has now paid for itself as this was the 5th deer through it and my 4th in that time span. With butcher costs $70+ a deer it is way easier to do the work yourself.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I beg to differ. I gladly pay the 70$ b/c I don't have the time or resources to butcher a deer.

I'm gonna have to go with nomad on this one, $70+ to have a deer cut up isn't really worth it to me. On top of that for $70 you might not even get what you want out of it. We have taken deer to get them processed to a few different places over the years and have gotten some weird cuts back (ribs, shanks, etc), at least if we cut it up we can get what we want out of it. Also don't know if y'all have ever tried deer ribs or shanks buts there's hardly any meat on either, would rather just bone them out and get a lil more burger. And I understand why they do it that way, the faster and more deer they process the more money they get but still...

My cabelas 3/4hp "commercial grade" grinder cost me $350 two years ago after season. So far I have put 5 deer, 4 of mine and 1 of my dads and at the going rate the grinder has paid for itself. One more deer and the good knife set I purchased will have paid for itself. So with that said 6 deer to pay off all of the equipment needed. I had a spreader and pulley before hand so that there wasn't an expense there but you can pick up a good one at tsc that is way better than the ones sold at the big box stores. For roughly $400 I was able to have what I needed to get started. So for $450 or less if you have nothing you can be up and running with good equipment. I made those investments at 28 years old so I will get my moneys worth over my life time. I didnt in my wildest dreams think I would put 5 deer through the grinder in two seasons and this season isn't over yet and my dad and I still have buck tags and 4 more days or parts of days to get out hunting.

Plus I last one I had butchered, I was not impressed with and my wife didn't like the meat. I clean the meat better then the butcher and I get more meat that I know is mine. Processing your own takes time but it is worth it for me. Plus when I hunt at my cabin I cant really take a deer to the butcher and pick it up a week or two later. The 4.5-5 drive is prohibitive to that.

Bushman, I do not know your situation but not having the time and resources to process a deer leaves you with only one choice and that is to pay the going rate. I get that I needed to do that for years when I was in college and or living in an apartment. For me now it is a choice and I have the space to process the deer and I make the time to get it done.
    Last edited by nomad_archer; 12-04-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Thread Information