Thread: European Skull mount

Hybrid View

See my signature line for examples.

I've done one and am working on my second... I initially boiled then left outside to let the ants/bugs eat it out... then I learned about the water bucket method.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO YOUR OWN, DONT BOIL IT TILL YOU ARE CONVINCED YOU WANT TO DO IT THE HARD WAY!!!

Steps:
    1) Skin the skull and get off as much flesh as possible (don't shove anything up the nose!)
    2) Put it in a bucket of water... the warmer the better (~70-80°F for fastest results and keep the antlers out of the water!)
    3) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up.
    4) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up.
    5) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up.
    6) In a week, pour off half the water and fill it back up...
    7) Repeat step 6 until all the brains, cartilage, flesh is disolved... oh yea, it's going to stink, bad! (Don't let it freeze)
    8) Once everything has been eaten up by the bacteria and such, change out the water and add dawn dish soap for 2-3 soaks, 1 wk each.

You can bleach it if you want... but don't skip on the soap/rinse cycles as it gets the grease out. Your mount will turn yellow later on if you dont get all the grease out.

Some people put a clear coat on it afterwards... whatever you want.

Alternatively, $75 for a shoulder mount is a pretty good price!
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

Wish I would have read Genesis recommendation before I did mine. I boiled mine (learned a few techniques from Youtube also)...
    It took several hours and two days. The Brains were stubborn and I needed needle nose pliers and a wire brush. It turned out o.k. but it DID STINK!! I can still smell the stench! It was not fun, but worth it for my first Buck. It was a modest 7pt. Not enough to get mounted in my opinion, but I love the Euro or "museum" mount in my home office! Genesis seems to have an easier way, just not sure I would want it to take 2-3 months. If so, I might buy the beetles. Plus I have two dogs, and many others in the neighborhood. Eventually I think something would have gotten to it while it was soaking. If you have the right place to do it that way, sounds like a good option. Regardless of which route you go, you will have time and work involved, but in the end, you will be glad you did it. And it's FREE!

Thread Information