Thread: This made me go Hmmmmm

Hybrid View

This made me go Hmmmmm

Shot a doe this morning out of a 18 ft ladderstand at 20 yards. She was broadside. Complete pass through and she ran off in the death run. Arrow was stuck in ground and covered with blood. Some bubbles. I'm thinking ok, double lung shot she'll be within 60 yds. Wrong. Blood trailed her 250 yards before finding her. Good blood most of way coming out both sides with bubbles. See attached three photos. First one is entry hole where stick is. Second one is exit hole where stick is. Third one is view from back showing the stick as arrow location as it went through her. I got the bottom back side of the opposite side lung (exit). No lung on entry. Unbelievable. Doesn't look that high or far back to me so maybe not all lungs are in the same place!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9586.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	10805 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9097.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	10806 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6199.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	10807

well like I said before, some deer are harder to kill LOL
    shot one in that area with a 50 BMG, and it ran pretty far, with a hole you could about throw football thru and not hit anything?
    some what explains, how a good hit can turn into a loss?
    makes you wonder

I agree that's a lil crazy, looks like a good double lung shot to me by where the entry/exit holes are. So did you shoot over/under her lung closest to you?
    I live life at full draw....

I assume the arrow went just behind the entry side lung since I got the back (rear) of the opposite side lung.

S.E.Michigan to live & S.E. Ohio to dream
    Makes you wonder how many lost deer are due to something like that. Looks perfect to me and yet 250 yards later...

I had a "VERY" similar type shot on one earlier this year... she went approx. 150 yards, and really didn't start bleeding good until the last 50 yards or so. Also, as a side note: I was using a lighted nock. I knew it was a good shot, full pass thru. I was SURE I knew where the arrow was to begin my tracking. Well, where I thought it was, vs. where it actually hit dirt was at least 10 yards difference.
    Without the nock, I would have had a hell of a time finding 1st blood, since it took a while for good blood.

Lesson learned: Your eyes can deceive you, and things always look different on the ground than in a tree.

Thread Information