Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Here we go week vacation

It is as if someone clicked on a light switch here in Ashtabula Co. last 2 nights with the colder temps. and snow bucks being shot and seen chasing. my buddy shot an 8pt. Wed night and 2 guys I work with both shot bucks Thur. night all chasing doe's. no lock down here just needed the colder temps and the snow triggered something. Sat. calls for partly sunny and cold. there will be some bucks hitting the ground on Sat. maybe 1 will be mine.

Col temps today and snow on the ground. Should be a good day heard some grunting in the thicket. This afternoon i get finish butchering my deer.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Nothing happened yesterday. So this morning I had a spike in at 30 yards and am unidentified deer in the thicket. Then I had a really nice black bear come through
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Well hang in there, last day
    and a bear walking thru to me was always a great touch to a hunt, funny maybe how folks in states without bears see , things like that with different views/ OR worries and so many Pa hunters don't bat an eye LOLd

Still looking for that shooter buck. Im just not seeing them. I had another spike come through.

well its Over now here in PA< hope you had a better evning sit than morning
    I had to run down the farm today about 3 pm or so, , got to watch a doe being dogged hard by 3 bucks, they chased her all over the cut corn field, I feklt bad for her, she looked super tired! , tongue hanging out and all! , watched her for about 10 minutes to like NASCAR turning laps about the 50 acre filed LOL

also, there was about 15 trucks parked road side too, guess every hunter in the area now know's I am not on the farm, so its a free for all trespassing there without me there kicking folks out as in the past LOL
    Oh well, not my concern no more I guess! sucks, but?

Well never made the evening stand. I pulled out one ladder stand and setup the shooting rail on the other for rifle season. Plus my old man thought he missed a doe at 16 yards since his arrow only had mud on the first 6 inches. Under closer inspection I saw 1 drop of blood in the arrow. My dad waited until lunch time so I could help him look. Well a few feet later we had a blood trail of sprayed blood on the snow. 70 yards later was his deer. So between butchering and pulling stands I did not make it out in the afternoon. Final score for 5 archery hunters in two cabins. 1 buck 2 antlerless a everyone had an opportunity some did not connect. Heck of an archery season. Now it is time for rifle season.

Well congrats to your Dad,
    and that's hunting.
    as long as everyone had fun, sounds like a good week.
    Best of luck in gun season, these cold temps should make for a good gun season, will have a lot of guys walking and moving deer IMO

The cold will help move the people which will move the deer. For archery the really cold temps we had basically shut down the deer movement since were was a great mast crop the deer didn't have to go far for food so they would stand up eat and bed down and not cover any ground.

I agree when there is a lot of mast crops and hunting big woods, its a challange for sure, all you hope for in that is bucks be on the move looking for hot does, and even that is hard as they search bedding area's, and its rather hard to set up in one of them LOL

but the cold weather does make them feed mroe, and then come rifle season, here, the cold will have folks walking sooner and more often, BUT at the same time, I think with todays hunter numbers in PA, the cold might keep a lot mroe folks home too!
    all the old timers in my hunting camp won't go out anymore if its cold?? they hunt more for fun and the cold isn't fun for them no more
    I think the same is for a lot of even the newer hunters, there good weather types. but its rifle season, it brings out a crowd every yr and this yr will be the same, maybe not the million plus we used to have, but there will be a lot of orange out there on the move
    best of luck to you and your friends/family too!

Thread Information