Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad News!!! I fell from my tree stand.

Did you have any lasting injuries fro your fall? Yes, I know things I should have done and didn't do. I am a born again christian and believe I was definitely being watched over this in this situation. Even just over the last few hours I feel much better. I had slowly been replacing all my stands and have pretty much switched over to ladder stands. Unfortunately this was the last one. I even felt uneasy about this stand but you know how us men can be. Just like I refused to go in the ambulance. I did spend 7 hours in the ER and had multiple x-rays and 2 CT scans.

I hear you on not doing some times what we all know we should, and rolling the dice
    I have fallen, out of about 7-8 tree stands over the yrs, l;ast one was back in the mid 90's
    long befroe harness's were about
    I was lucky too, between all my yrs of racing MX bikes and I guess learning how to relax in a fall
    I never really got hurt
    I did fall once out of a home made stand my cousin made and landed on him, and broke his arm LOL

but all them yrs ago when again we made stands out of even tree branches, and they came apart FAST
    I learned that its always better to stop using a stand before it goes south
    as they say live abnd learn
    and some times getting hurt, is alesson we never forget!

I know it might not sound too good to say this but you really could have broken your back and never hunt from a tree stand again. sure hope you get better soon and back out there. any one taking 3 weeks off for hunting is a dedicated hunter in my book. hope to see a pic of you with a buck soon. Good Luck.

Glad your doing "ok" considering!! I have a good friend at work whos father died from a fall a few years back and what a terrible scenario. I know i dont have to tell you, but be thankful for the condition your in, and this should serve as an immediate reminder for myself and all the others on this page how much more careful we should be during our adventures afield. Again, glad your somewhat well!! And hope it isnt too long before your getting back at it. Prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by ManOfTheFall View Post
    Did you have any lasting injuries fro your fall? Yes, I know things I should have done and didn't do. I am a born again christian and believe I was definitely being watched over this in this situation. Even just over the last few hours I feel much better. I had slowly been replacing all my stands and have pretty much switched over to ladder stands. Unfortunately this was the last one. I even felt uneasy about this stand but you know how us men can be. Just like I refused to go in the ambulance. I did spend 7 hours in the ER and had multiple x-rays and 2 CT scans.
    Some stitches and 6 broken ribs and sprains it lasted a while and I wasn't hunting much after the fall or doing much of anything

Glad your gonna be ok. I've already heard of several that has fell this year. I fell years ago as I was climbing up. I used screw in tree steps that had been in the tree for several years. One rusted and broke! Luckily I was only 6 ft up and walked away sore. I will never go with out a harness and life lines. Hunter safety systems has a great line of products and wouldnt step foot in the woods with out one. After that fall I sold a few things to get a harness. Best money I ever spent.

I definitely know how lucky I am. If I feel like I do now, I think it may be as early as next week and I can be back out there. Hopefully I get good reports from the surgeon today and Friday. In the mean time you guys pull together and pick me up and shoot some big ones!!!!!

I got good news from the doctor. He said besides the fractured tail bone, he believes I just have very deep thigh and shoulder bruising. He said I can do things as I feel comfortable doing them but doesn't want me going back to work until December 1st. I was off til the 14th anyways so that only leaves 2 weeks after that. I don't see myself getting back out there this week but I think next week is a definite possibility.

well glad nothing major
    But I wouldn';t push it, going back too soon, can some times do more harm than good
    injuries many times take time, and just time to heal
    over stretching or?? stressing a muscle that is already weak, can rwsult in a bigger problem
    see it happen a few times over the yrs
    drawing a bow and holding it, and or climbing a tree uses a lot more muscles than you might think
    but hey, your an adult, and its your body LOL
    just go easy
    and best of luck when you do get back out there!

Unfortunately mrbb you are right on. I am already going crazy and it's only been three days since I've been in the stand. i guess the thing that makes it so bad is the timing of it all. I wait for this 3 week period all year then bam, I can't even go out. I know my health is more important and I am probably just spouting off at the mouth and wishful thinking. My wife is threatening to hide all my hunting stuff so I can't go out. I did reassure her that if I truly feel I can't handle it I am not going to be stupid and go out. I definitely enjoy reading about everyone else's hunts and their success and frustrations. Maybe this year I will have to live off of that. So, everyone get out there and shoot big one's and post pictures so I can at least enjoy that. But if I truly feel I can get out there without doing any further injury to my self, you know where I will be. So, everyone, shoot a big one for me and pray for me that I get back out there as soon as possible that I to may take part in one of the best harvest years ever!!!!!

Thread Information