Thread: Fall calling?

Fall calling?

So our oldest, almost 5, has been saying she wants to go hunting and seeing a dozen turkeys walk through the yard the other day I got to thinking about taking her out to do some fall turkey huntin. But I've never hunted turkeys in the fall and my question is, do turkeys call in the fall? I don't want to take her out and set up and just hope a bird walks by. But if I can get out and call to them then it would be more exciting for her.
    I live life at full draw....

Fall turkeys are usually flocked up. They call a but don't usually come in like in the spring. If you get on a flock the best advice is to bust up the flock by running into the birds. Then setup and call. Once a flock is busted up they will call to try to get back together. Fall turkey hunting is much harder than in the spring because the birds are not nearly as vocal and are not easily called in. If you want to take your daughter hunting at that age maybe do a little squirrel hunting. There are plenty of those around and she can help look for them.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

Thread Information