Thread: Anybody rattling yet?

Anybody rattling yet?

Just as it says anybody tickling the horns yet? I've not and was wondering if anybody has and any success.

Thanks
    Mike

No I don't take the horns out until around Oct. 31. I am not saying tickling the horns would not bring in a deer at anytime earlier in the season. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to deer in the wild. most hunters don't use the deer call until the pre-rut or rut comes in yet watch a buck they want to shoot walk away from them earlier in the season not knowing if a buck would have answered a soft grunt call. deer are vocal all year long. IF you don't try it you will never know will you. Don't be afraid to try something when it comes deer hunting the worst that can happen is the buck didn't respond to what ever you tried at that time. if you do nothing at all I guess he will never respond to your lack of effort.

I have never had much luck rattling but I hunt public land and believe it is probably an over used tactic. I do however always have my grunt and bleat call with me. They have stopped and turned deer that otherwise never would have come into range at all different times of the year.
    “I don't partake in assembly-line convenience. I don't say that killing things is bad while I hire people to kill things for me.” ~ Ted Nugent

I haven't started yet, but I will start some time next week.

Im going to try a little tonight.. Wont make it out to stand until about 5.. but I plan on doing 2 or 3 cadences and trying my luck.

I think I have decided my first rattling will be Saturday evening close to a large bedding area. I laid down a couple mock scrapes in this area so maybe I will get the big boys attention and get him coming out before dark.

I haven't tried yet but have been using soft grunts.

Thread Information