Thread: Tree Stands

Hybrid View

My oldest (3yrs) cries every time I go hunting without him... which is always right now - life sure can be rough sometimes, but I try to explain it to him as best I can.

In regard to the buck... first, congrats on even seeing one! I've yet to see anything resembling a trophy buck (in comparison to the ones I've seen on here and elsewhere). So in that regard, seeing one is an accomplishment! I tried to find my post on the first deer I saw (must have gotten recycled?) to share how shook up I was just seeing a spike standing 10 yds out... but never the less, if you are like me, you wouldn't have been able to do anything because you were trying not to have a heart attack!

But if you are able to keep your whit, I've watched enough hunting shows, and tried it once or twice... let out a short "MERP" (mimicking a doe grunt) and it will stop that deer in it's tracks. Of course it will be looking for the noise and you might be busted, so make sure you draw back on the animal first! It would also be helpful to do it when you don't think it would stop in a bad spot to shoot.

Regardless of what I say about not regretting it, you'll be kicking yourself all season for not trying to take a shot... my wife tells me not to kick myself, but I think it's a coping mechanism :) However, nothing stinks worse than taking a risky shot at a buck, wounding it and not being able to retrieve it! Don't regret making good decisions. At least now you know the potential in your area! Be sure to post a pic when you harvest him!

PS - how did the expanding foam work on your stand? I tried it with mixed results...
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

I have a summit viper. Great for climbing and the bar swings out of the way for bow hunting. 21 lbs I think. I have packed this stand in and out of public land for years. The problem with back backing your stand are the shoulder straps that come with it. Couple years ago I finally changed mine and what a difference it makes. I went with the military back packing straps and waist belt. Found them on e-bay. Best 18$ I every spent.

Thread Information