Thread: Tree Stands

Hybrid View

I should have included - it takes about 10 minutes to set it up. The more time it takes is negligible compared to using a climber.

@mrbb- Good advice about the tape being shinny. I never even thought about that! I got some of the cloth tape and wrapped a single layer over the other tape. Glad to hear you were ok! There is a cord that connects the bottom of the stand to the top, so that if it does get away from me, it won't go too far...I hope!

@Genesis 9:3- I completely understand! My four year old is always asking to come along hunting, but I've promised to take her during gun season as we have three blinds set up and that seems to meet her approval. Yes, you're so right, seeing one is an accomplishment and I try to keep that in mind. At least now, I hope to have all my jitters out, so that next time I will be ready! It's also taught me the importance of judging the mood of the deer and how each encounter is different. If the next buck I encounter is as preoccupied, I will draw back, stopping him as you suggested, regardless of his distance. The caulking, in my opinion, worked great! The climber doesn't make a sound as I climb. I am very happy with it so far!

@gonehunting 45- Thanks for the advice about the straps! I am definitely getting some military back packing straps because it really hurts my shoulders. The bar doesn't swing away, but it isn't in my way when I stand either.

@Toke2- Yes, I have a Big Game Platinum safety harness that I use in every stand. I only hunt on private land. I have around 12 stands altogether, which includes ladders, double tree stands and a few hang ons. Most of them have been "inherited" by people who, I am assuming, were confused about property lines. I was just recently asked if I wanted to hunt one of the properties my husband farms, so I decided a climber would be the best way to scout. I love what you said about a mental trophy, that is very true. Some of my most favorite hunts, I haven't shot a thing! I've taken two decent bucks, but both with a gun at over 100 yards. There is something about having a buck so close that can't be matched, it's amazing! I am sure that's a blast hunting in the tree stand with your kids. I can't wait to take mine when they are older. Did they sit still the entire time and not get bored?

Thread Information