Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tree Stands

Thank you, everyone for all of the advice. I'm still learning, so it's all much appreciated.

Genesis, your little boys are adorable! It won't be long and they will be hunting along with you I am sure. Well, I did end up getting a cheap Summit stand. It's the Viper SD Infinity. I filled it with Great Stuff foam filler and then wrapped it in soft cloth with the camo tape, so I am hoping it will won't be too bad. I will find out this evening.

The picture is of my daughter. This was her first time tracking a deer. Thankfully, the lighted nock worked perfectly because it had just stormed before I started tracking. It hadn't gone very far at all though.

Also, about 15-20 mins. before these four does came through, a very nice buck came into the woods from my left side. He was only about 5 yards right beside my stand, so I had no time to react as he was so close. He was at a fast walk though and went right in front of me and walked away stopping at 32 yards behind three small trees. It wasn't long though and he was walking off just as quickly as he had come in.

I was in shock because I've never had a big buck that close to me while hunting and also because I was never expecting to even see one. Even now, I still can't believe it. I think a more experienced hunter would be picking out a place for him on their wall. Should I have tried to stop him? How?

I realize now, he was coming into the woods down wind and making his way through to scent check the does that bed on the other side of the woods. At least that's what I think. Luckily though, he came into the woods right in front of me, so he didn't wind me. In fact, he didn't even notice me at all. He wasn't even looking around and seemed to have his mind on one thing only. Are the bucks right now still on a pattern?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KhloeBowKill2014Season.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	10753

well congrats again on the kill, the story and the enw stand
    best of luck to you with it
    Only think I might add is, lots of the camo tape they sell in stores is very shinny on a sunny day
    and its why I always prefer the camo cloth tape, costs more but no real shine to it, also doesn't squeak when wet! a nice lus
    But Summit makes a fine stand, just go slow and learn how it works
    and wear a safety harness both climbng and once set up
    MY worst fall came climbing down the tree witha climber once yrs ago
    the base slipped off its bite about 8 ft from the ground, and slid fast straight down, and then stopped at about 3 ft from the ground
    and I had then straps that held your feet in tights, well, the sudden stop was too much for me knee's and ankles and tipped me over the side of the stand
    lets not forget when the platform drops out, your head goes face first right ibnto the tree! LOL
    didn't break anything, got lucky!
    but sure taught me to make suer every move is solid before going up or down a tree with a climber!
    and that was on a very smooth bark'd tree
    I now don't climb them types of tree at all !
    But that was again yrs ago on a climber when ther were made out of angle iron, and didn't conform to tree so well LOL

be safe and best of luck getting that big buck!

My oldest (3yrs) cries every time I go hunting without him... which is always right now - life sure can be rough sometimes, but I try to explain it to him as best I can.

In regard to the buck... first, congrats on even seeing one! I've yet to see anything resembling a trophy buck (in comparison to the ones I've seen on here and elsewhere). So in that regard, seeing one is an accomplishment! I tried to find my post on the first deer I saw (must have gotten recycled?) to share how shook up I was just seeing a spike standing 10 yds out... but never the less, if you are like me, you wouldn't have been able to do anything because you were trying not to have a heart attack!

But if you are able to keep your whit, I've watched enough hunting shows, and tried it once or twice... let out a short "MERP" (mimicking a doe grunt) and it will stop that deer in it's tracks. Of course it will be looking for the noise and you might be busted, so make sure you draw back on the animal first! It would also be helpful to do it when you don't think it would stop in a bad spot to shoot.

Regardless of what I say about not regretting it, you'll be kicking yourself all season for not trying to take a shot... my wife tells me not to kick myself, but I think it's a coping mechanism :) However, nothing stinks worse than taking a risky shot at a buck, wounding it and not being able to retrieve it! Don't regret making good decisions. At least now you know the potential in your area! Be sure to post a pic when you harvest him!

PS - how did the expanding foam work on your stand? I tried it with mixed results...
    60# Bowtech Destroyer 340

Team Gutpile '12-13

I have a summit viper. Great for climbing and the bar swings out of the way for bow hunting. 21 lbs I think. I have packed this stand in and out of public land for years. The problem with back backing your stand are the shoulder straps that come with it. Couple years ago I finally changed mine and what a difference it makes. I went with the military back packing straps and waist belt. Found them on e-bay. Best 18$ I every spent.

I really like the Gorilla Greyback climber. The cable interlock is foolproof. I find it pretty easy to climb with and it feels secure whe in position and locked. Also, I found it extremely useful that it fits a wide variety tree sizes.

No, I do not work for gorilla.

Congrats on your on first Bow harvest. Last year I got two deer out of my SUMMIT climber. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong. PLEASE climb safely and spend whatever it takes to buy a quality safety harness! I hunt with two old friends who refuse to wear them and hunt from ladder stands. We argue over it every year! My first goal of hunting is to get home to my family after the hunt! So I used my climber for the last 2-3 years, and this year, I dropped the cash for a millennium two-man ladder stand. It was not cheap but I was looking for a stand that I can take my boys up in with me ( 13 and 10 years old). Already had my oldest out with me and it was great. Didn't get a shot but saw a few... I have to say, I don't miss having to carry my 50lb climber in, and spending 20 minutes to get up the tree. The ladder is nice - quick and easy. As long as you are hunting solo, a climber is a great option, you might want to consider a ladder down the road too. All depends on where you hunt as well.
    Best of luck finding that big buck.... My most memorable moment ever, while hunting, was a face to face encounter with a GIANT. I was on the ground packing up, after shooting light, he was spooked toward me by my hunting buddy also packing up, so all I could do was stare - he froze - I froze. Face to face at about 15yds for what was probably 8 seconds, but felt like an hour. That deer has haunted my dreams! My point....even a great buck encounter can be a mental trophy!

I have a lone wolf hand climber and a summit viper the summit is harder to get in but once in so comfy while the lone wolf a dream to get in, still comfy but not as comfy as my summit if u want to save some bucks on a lone wolf check out XOP they have the patents for lone wolf and can get a hand climber for around 200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best route to go is a lone wolf hang on with a set of their sticks. I have that and also the sit and climb. I end up using my sit and climb like once a year. It's a great stand but it's so nice to be able to hang a stand in any tree. I've even considered selling my lone wolf climber.

I should have included - it takes about 10 minutes to set it up. The more time it takes is negligible compared to using a climber.

@mrbb- Good advice about the tape being shinny. I never even thought about that! I got some of the cloth tape and wrapped a single layer over the other tape. Glad to hear you were ok! There is a cord that connects the bottom of the stand to the top, so that if it does get away from me, it won't go too far...I hope!

@Genesis 9:3- I completely understand! My four year old is always asking to come along hunting, but I've promised to take her during gun season as we have three blinds set up and that seems to meet her approval. Yes, you're so right, seeing one is an accomplishment and I try to keep that in mind. At least now, I hope to have all my jitters out, so that next time I will be ready! It's also taught me the importance of judging the mood of the deer and how each encounter is different. If the next buck I encounter is as preoccupied, I will draw back, stopping him as you suggested, regardless of his distance. The caulking, in my opinion, worked great! The climber doesn't make a sound as I climb. I am very happy with it so far!

@gonehunting 45- Thanks for the advice about the straps! I am definitely getting some military back packing straps because it really hurts my shoulders. The bar doesn't swing away, but it isn't in my way when I stand either.

@Toke2- Yes, I have a Big Game Platinum safety harness that I use in every stand. I only hunt on private land. I have around 12 stands altogether, which includes ladders, double tree stands and a few hang ons. Most of them have been "inherited" by people who, I am assuming, were confused about property lines. I was just recently asked if I wanted to hunt one of the properties my husband farms, so I decided a climber would be the best way to scout. I love what you said about a mental trophy, that is very true. Some of my most favorite hunts, I haven't shot a thing! I've taken two decent bucks, but both with a gun at over 100 yards. There is something about having a buck so close that can't be matched, it's amazing! I am sure that's a blast hunting in the tree stand with your kids. I can't wait to take mine when they are older. Did they sit still the entire time and not get bored?

Thread Information