I've read the threads on how high to put a stand, but never on how far away from the trail or "spot" -with "spot" being where you expect the deer to stop and smell the roses? I'm starting to wonder if I am sitting way too close to were I expect to see them... I'm comfortable shooting out to 30yds, maybe 35yds, at a deer, even though I can shoot longer at my target. Let's not turn this into a "how far is too far" conversation... I read that thread too!

Background:
I've never had anyone show me how to do it and I'm only in my 4th season hunting... having a hard time finding any kind of mentor.
I've always seem to have trouble with the deer looking up in the tree at me. I understand it is a complex mix of different things that play into this, but the most obvious ones are movement and smell. If they come in and smell me, they are on alert (even after smoking/spraying down). The issue is that even when I don't move, they look up in the tree at me and wonder what I am. It's hard to shoot a deer that's looking at you! (I've never tried, just for the note)

I typically sit in my climbing stand until I see deer or hear one approaching. Then I try to stand up, but often times have to stay seated just to keep from making noise or moving so they don't see me. I've tried standing for hours on end... but that has it's limitations.